Vertigo comparison and thoughts?

hugh_b

I've been set on a gasgas but currently considering a new vertigo 250, not ridden one before but have seen a few at local trials. They look awesome, I like the idea of fuel injection and the air filter positioning. 

From what i've read they look extremely well built and thought out.

How do they ride in comparison to the big brands such as gas gas and beta etc? I get on really well with gassers, quite like sherco's but don't like the 3 usable gears as opposed to 4 however have never gelled with beta's. 

Also, how is maintenance and reliability? Not shy of working on the bike but don't want to be beholden to a dealer to plug it in like a modern car! 

Edited by hugh_b

I ride a 2015 GG 250 racing and tried a friends Vertigo 300, handling and suspension matched my bike, maybe a bit firmer and stable, nothing weird. Although it was a 300 the off idle response wasn't abrupt or snappy (it's got additional flywheel weight) it picked up revs quickly past 1/4 throttle but only as expected with a bigger engine. The fueling was faultless too. 

To me the big plus is the fuel injection. Just like my 4rt, it never fluffs and is always spot on. That aside, I don't really see any other massive advantages. The technology is great, but if riding is what it's all about it didn't really impress me that much, and i know of a few boys that had electrical issues with them. To be fair, the warranty has always stood up to any issues I've heard, do you really need the hassle on a new bike. 

Before you buy one try a TRS 250. A little cracker, a fair bit cheaper and a lot less to go wrong!

The fuel injection allows the fuel tank to be low and the filter to be high, good for center of gravity and water getting in.  Last year we had a fairly deep stream crossing that a few gassers got drowned out it while my Ossa didn't get close.  Handling is tighter than my Ossa, turns tight like a Beta but handles similar to a Gasgas.  Off idle response is super smooth and makes holding pressure easier (for me at least); response is faster than the Ossa and the different maps are very noticeable.

You can't do much without a dealer as to the motor, I see mine at most events so can usually do any computer work there.  If you don't have that option I'd consider it an issue.  The FI is great for elevation changes but a carbed bike works if you know how to mess with it.  I waffled when switching from the Ossa due to the whole FI issue and almost went TRS, then opted back to FI and the Vert.  If I didn't have a close relationship with my dealer I might've gone the other way.

Power is very good, overall build is good, dealer and factory support is very good.

I Love my 250 Ice hell. The suspension gearing and different maps are something else. Grip is brilliant. I had a 300 Beta evo and a 300 Jotagas so tested a 300 camo but didn't really need all that power the 250 is lovely nice and soft off the bottom and has all the power and a little more my old 300s had top end and the different Maps really do work I first thought they were going to be a gimmick but how wrong I was there great. I would recommend a 250 to anyone.

Hope this helps

Another vote for the 250 from me. Had a '97Mont 315r and '12 Beta 250 before the Vertigo. Bike feels much easier to static balance on. Has plenty of (useable, manageable) power, the maps do change the engine characteristics. I rode in a muddy (U.K.) southern trial recently, pulled 4th in sections no problem and had bucket loads of grip. Riding practice sections at another venue I found big(ish) steps easier than the Beta. Vertigo UK have been very good to deal with. Not had any issues with the bike so far. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend, but as always try before you buy!!

• Like 1