Ariel alloy tanks

brian0304

I have got an Avery products tank and it works fine.

Considering all these bikes are different the things to consider are how are you going to mount it, this needs some adjustability, I have a moveable stud which clamps to the top frame tube and allows movement back and forth, I have foam padding that sits over the top tube to adjust the height over the engine.

Looking from above, one side is longer than the other and it is obviously hand made but it is a period 'Trials bike' and only I look that closely

Considering  I put a nasty dent into it at a Kia round when it was only about 6 months on the bike, I think I made the right choice going with the cheaper product, I would rate it 100% better than the previous fibre glass Sammy Miller tank as that fell apart after an impact and was probably affected by fuel.

I have a new Holtworks tank for my HT, when I get around to building it.They are a work of art,had one for my Majesty aswell. I've looked at the Weedy ones at various times,they are a bit "functional" in comparison,but clearly up to the job. Both are cheap if you are used to charging out workshop hours and have gone to the trouble of making an alloy tank.I made one for the Ty175 that I fitted the XT225 engine into, took hours and hours...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input, as Jon says, for the effort involved they are still cheap. My issue is that I'm not keen on the look of tanks that slope backwards, I want them to be square with the engine,and the ones on sale are quite shallow. Unless anyone knows different...? Cheers 

I have had 2 tanks on my Ariel

The one fitted when I bought it looks like a Holtworks tank, it has no stamp on it so by their website may not be genuine, it looks lovely, but I got sick of the welds cracking and leaking over and over again. (repaired locally, not by Holtworks)

I then bought a Terry Weedy tank, nothing like as pretty, and the underside is shipyard construction (plates rather than pressings), but in 3 years heavy use, I've not managed to dent it and it's never suffered a failure.

This is not a condemnation of a Holtworks tank, mine may not have been genuine, but I know I purchased the second tank from Terry and it's been great

Edited by gii
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...