Tr280i Diagnostic Software

ricarvar

2 hours ago, ricarvar said:

Yes, my cable is a Serial-Cable, then it has an adapter from serial-to-SUB.

I'm guessing the adapter is your issue. Many of the ones that worked quit working post XP.

do you have a computer with a real serial port?   (The business class Dell laptops have a 'mini-dock' that has a real serial port that seems pretty effective.)

I've  had a lot of issues with older software/hardware that is serial and trying to use an adapter (back in my radio tech days). The Dell unit always worked.

if you have XP, make sure you have a driver foe the adapter.

mark

Hey Guys,

Actually, I tried tonight and found out: (1) my cable is actually not "Serial" but a smaller one (see pic below), I was confused with its name but can't remember how's it called, (2) good news my PC has one of those (female) ports as well, and (3) the problem with the current USB-cable seems to be the PC-Driver for the adapter to USB (according to the device manager in windows).

My Windows is 7 home edition. I downloaded a couple drivers for the USB-adapter from internet with no success (after about 1 hr battle)... so plan B is to get a "male-to-male" adapter for the terminal on the pic below and plug it directly into my PC eliminating the USB adapter. I hope that works...

BTW, I'm in Canada too (Calgary).

Terminal.jpeg

If you specify a com port number on your computer you must also set the same com port on the software and then plug the USB into the same port each time. When I did this I selected com 5 and it always works as long as I use the same USB port on the laptop. Is I plug into a different USB port it does not work as it is looking for com 5 on a different port

Canada280i - you're absolutely right... my PC's port is VGA...  yesterday I tried the three drivers from the website link you sent and it hasn't worked so far... so it may be the OS/Windows 7 (?)

My options at this point seem to be:

a. I'll see if the IT guy at work knows a way around this

b. ... or has a laptop with XP available (doubt it)...or

c. Check whether there is an adapter from serial to HDMI (?)... which the PC also has a port for it...

Hey ricavar you never really said if you have spark while kicking it over with the plug out and connected while grounded to the engine or frame. If no spark try disconnecting the kill switch at the steering head. Also check the wiring there it can rub through with the turning of the bars. ?

ossabc63 - I did test the spark plug against the frame of the bike and no spark ?... that being said though, I'm not clear about "while grounded to the engine" ???

what I did was I pull the spark-plug from the engine-head, then connected to the plug-cap, then pointed closely to the frame and kick it.... what else or how suppose to get the grounding?

On a software note - last night I tried another "driver" from another website and it didn't work. I already match the ports in both the PC-driver configuration and the software settings... but still get the same error message... I plan to check today with the IT guy...

You need to take the plug out of the head and connect it to the coil wire. The metal or wrench part of the plug has to be touching and grounded to the cylinder head to complete an electrical circuit. Then kick it over with your hand. ?Check the plug gap for spark, may want to try another plug also. 

You cannot use HDMI or anything like that.

You have to have a WIN7 driver for any USB to serial. I've had issues anyway for a lot of those, even in XP.

If you have access to a Dell Latitide, use one of these. I'm sure it will work.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-e-legacy-extender/apd/430-3115/pc-accessories

It has a real serial port and works really well.

OR another HD with XP and a proper drive. Belkin made an adapter that worked well. It requires electronics, you can NOT  just use a wire.  The point about the COM port matching in the hardware and software is very important. Do you know how to set that? 

Mark

Edited by lotus54