Remembrance Sunday

timp

a) an awful lot of clubs organise events for the Saturday (and traditionally do so) - we (Sidcup) did a big closed to club, Witley run a big Centre trial, etc

:rolleyes: another huge number of clubs, centres, etc hold AGMs, etc on this "spare" date

c) as for not doing anything out of respect or we should do something and donate profits to charity - speaking to various veterans and others the view is divided, but with the "loss" of veterans form the mass participation conflicts WW1 & WW2 its going to be more difficult to maintain the doing nothing line

d) Hook woods was an ORPA event, and several other OPRA events were on. ORPA is the promotions vehicle pioneered by Tony Ford and the late Reg Slack that is utilised by numerous commercial promoters (and a few proper clubs), and in the age of increased commercial promotions of motorsport events it is to be expected. now trails in normally beyond the hope of making money for commercial operators (with perhaps the exception of the world round) but by not allowing charity events (which the Hook Woods event was) have "we" (ACU ***AND*** the AMCA) forced people to go down the ORPA route ????

its a difficult and controversial but nether the less important debate to be had - and one to which i don't see an answer .......

rabie :unsure:

Andy,

I totally agree with your views about Remembrance Sunday and in an ideal world it should be left as it is. But I now think it is a missed opportunity to not run events on the day.

A lot of trials are being run on the Saturday before including the Northern Experts.At the above trial I overheard a couple of lads saying it was good to have the trial on Saturday so they had Sunday spare to go practicing. I am told the local practice ground was very busy on the Sunday, I ended up working in the garden and i'm sure most others found something to do.

Surely it would of been better to have a charity trial on Remembrance Sunday with a minutes silence before the start and raise some money for a needy cause.

As Boofont says people would think more of the meaning of the day if they took part in an event run for the benefit of charity.

Perhaps the views of the Royal British Legion should be sought on the subject.

Mark T

No!

There was once the same debate in the local motocross club meeting - the members decided NOT to run an event before they even realised that the SACU would not grant a permit. As someone else said there are 51 other Sundays in the year to run a trial, I strongly agree with John and Andy.

As far as I am aware its still the case that neither the SACU or ACU will grant a permit for any motorsport event on Remembrance Sunday. If you must have a fix on a trials bike that weekend why not get your club to run a Saturday trial?

I feal quite strongly on this issue and think we should not run events on this day. But I can see many people, younger riders in particular not understanding this viewpoint when all other activities seem to go on regardless. I am referring in particular to the Sunday pilgrimage to B&Q and IKEA.

Stuart

It's interesting to note that the ex-serving/serving members of HM Forces are, in general, the ones who think it would be better to run a charity trial on Rem weekend. I too am ex service and agree that a trial especially a charity one, could be held without offending veterans (of any war). The silence before the start, be it one or two minutes, is probably more likely to envoke thought than staying at home washing the car and only realising it's Rememberance Sunday when you watch the Ten O'clock news.

My view no events on Rememberance Sunday.

Imagine this a Remembarance Service is about to take place in a country church with the howl of MX bikes or even trials bikes drowning out the service, some good that would do for our image.

As for holding Trials etc on the Saturday the problem is as ever who will lay on the events the organisers would have to have Friday off work to do the preparation.

The point I was hoping to put across is that I think there may be a large number of people that didn't give Remembrance Sunday much more than a casual thought. An organised event would focus those people and generate revenue too. I don't think using the Saturday would have the same effect. What would you do, ask everyone to be silent at 11 whilst the rest of the world is getting on with their lives?

What is being said is use the day to bring to the fore what happened all those years ago, do this whilst riding our bikes. Surely its better to have folk thinking about what happened whilst riding than not thinking at all? How many of you all did nothing on Remembrance Sunday but think about our hero's? Not many I'd guess.

Well I'll be in ******* church you bunch of heathen *******s. Never seen such a bunch of ****s.

You'll all go to hell you ******s, mark my words. I've got my ******* place reserved.

;)

I still don't really know which side of the fence I fall. More arguing please, make my mind up :beer:

The bleeping didn't work for one of them there words. Had to edit it quick ;)

Edited by bikespace

I'm 17, and my earliest memory of the11th is at about 4yrs old with my Gran in the back garden.

Evey year at school we have a big thing on. Chapel in the morning with lots of Veterans present, the band plays Nimrod and accompanies all the hymns, and I play the Last Post, then we have a school parade after the service. In the afternoon the marching band goes down to the village and leads a parade throguh the village, we play in the service in the village church (Last Post again for me!), and we lead the parade back through the village. This year was my last year, so next year I will be at a loss to know what to do. Probably go into town and play the Last Post in the town centre and see what happens at 11oclock!

I think it would be a good idea to put on a small charity event on the Sunday, with an organised silence at the start, and with a general emphasis on remembering the way (I think) the lost would like the best, by having a good time but a good time with a cause. It means that anyone who goes would know what is happening and why, and even if they do not like it, they do not have an excuse for forgetting.

On a lighter note, if anyone wants a Last Post next year, I will probably be available!

Pete.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this post, but the Poppy Post interested me, and I wanted to see if attitudes had changed to Remembrance Sunday observance since I last rode with Manchester 17 MCC way back in the late 60's early 70's, so I did a search.

My main influence then was a wonderful chap called Dave Rolands, sadly no longer with us.

Dave explained to me that ACU off road events were never run on Remembrance Sunday so that those of us who were given the freedom to ride could dedicate just a little time to remembering all the fallen. For us it was focussed on those motorcycle dispatch riders from both World Wars, who didn't come home.

For me this isn't just about the first, or the second world wars. Its about showing respect, call it part of the Military Covenant if you will, to anyone from the forces who fights for us and who may pay the ultimate price, or be seriously injured as a result.

Here is not the place to get into the 'just' or 'legal' war debate. Suffice to say, we should never forget.

The fact that riders are not allowed to ride in an ACU event on Remembrance Sunday should make us all think why we are not riding. We shouldn't get angry, or find ways to flout this observance. I think we should just accept it as part of why we are able to ride trials bikes for the other 364 days of the year.

For those who wish to contribute financially to charity surely you don't need to fire up a trials bike to do so? Just put the fee for the average trial into the collection tin and wear your poppy with pride.

One of the younger riders posted that he used to play the last post for the school band. I applaud this. I suspect though, that for some people, having a trial to go to could make them unavailable to do such important things? Given the choice, some folks would perhaps go to the trial rather than attend a Service? More reason in my mind to just have one Sunday off in 52.

My daughter played in a Brass Band for many years, and they were constantly in demand to play on Remembrance Sunday. As band secretary, I attended all the events, and I can only report to those who have never been to one, that these events are extremely solemn and extremely moving. It isn't just the older folks who pay their respects, but I have seen young men, of perhaps mid to late twenties, who have been distraught, no doubt remembering fallen colleagues in more recent conflicts.

And yes, for those who don't want the religious paraphernalia, that is just the context in which part of the ceremonies are held.

What matters is in the hearts and minds of those who have lost loved ones.

The Poppy is good.

Observing the tradition of no trials on Remembrance Sunday is even better.

Peter

I still believe there should be no events on Remembrance Sunday, there is always the Saturday prior to ride bikes if clubs want to organise an event.

As some folk on here have already said, it's not just the two World conflicts we remember, there are soldiers losing their lives across in Afganistan right now!

As for charity trial suggestions, sure, good idea, but run it on the Saturday instead, as far as I know the ACU would be happy to allow this, the facility is always there in Scotland with the SACU!

Big John

I still believe there should be no events on Remembrance Sunday, there is always the Saturday prior to ride bikes if clubs want to organise an event.

As some folk on here have already said, it's not just the two World conflicts we remember, there are soldiers losing their lives across in Afganistan right now!

As for charity trial suggestions, sure, good idea, but run it on the Saturday instead, as far as I know the ACU would be happy to allow this, the facility is always there in Scotland with the SACU!

Big John

"A Gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"!

Highland Classic 2 Day Trial (UEM) 12/13 June 2010, Alvie Estate, Aviemore, Scotland..."The Friendliest Classic Trial in Scotland"

Well instead of moping about having no trial to go to today I and the boys went to the local Remembrance Day parade.

Huge turnout, lots of people we hadn't seen for a while, very moving at times, especially when we saw how important it all was to the old and not so old soldiers who attended.

A great couple of hours, finished off in the pub.

I know where I will be next Remembrance Sunday, and it won't be at a trial.

Everyone to their own, but if you have never been why not give it a try next year.

NickJ