Difference between double blip and Zap?

I m novice to the sport with only 10hrs or so on my New Gas gas contact 250.

Could anyone tell me the difference between the double blip and Zap. I have watched several videos of both and seems the exact same technique.

what's the difference?? which one clears higher obstacles?  

Also, as a beginner, I m struggling with the right finger on the front Brake. should I cover it at all times? even during wheelies? I cover the clutch at all times but left hand does not require wrist motion... any tips on that?? Thanks a lot everyone 

In the double blip the front wheel is what first contacts the rock, in the zap/splat the rear wheel is what first contacts the rock because the bike is usually launched at the rock at a steeper angle. The double blip is mainly used for obstacles up to 4/6 feet, and usually the splat is whats used to clear a taller obstacle, but it usually depends on the shape and undercut of the rock. As a novice, i dont see you needing to use the zap/splat technique for a good while yet

No, you dont need to always cover the front brake, or the rear, sometimes its just not possible

EDIT: Having since checked out what ryan young is calling a zap, in his terms a double blip and zap are identical. WTF is a jap zap? Confused.com. Call them what you want, but you can either touch the front, or hit the rock first with your rear. 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Boy you two should know better. The Jap zap was the original name, but in fairy land it became a zap. A zap is basically a double blip with the clutch included. Nowadays it has included the bridge which is just a stopped zap. The biggest thing with the Jap Zap is you hit the front tire lower than the blip. (This idea has changed through the years to include hitting the front anywhere since suspension has become better.) This compresses the suspension and the clutch is used to utilize the full force of the release. The zap and blip always uses the front wheel on the obstacle first. There is a lot more too it. Check out Ryan Young training videos. Anything that the rear wheel hits first is a splatter or an old fashioned jump.   

The really brief answer is:

- a jap zap and a zap are the original and now PC expression for the same move

- a zap is a double blip with a clutch pop added in

You can add to that all kinds of things mentioned above, like a a stationary zap, etc; 

The Jap Zap came along over 25 years ago. At that time new techniques moved through the world pretty damn slow and who knows how many name changes it went through. And yes it was supposed to be developed by Jap riders, which I could see since they ride a lot of man made obstacles. Just like we were amazed by the bunny hop in `74 as the new technique to get over under cut ledges!

if you're a novice just try to get all the basics right before moving onwards and upwards, the double blip is all you'll need right now, that should get you up 4 ft no worries. More imprtant is balance and throttle control position on bike and so on. Is your bike 100% perfectly set up does the suspension and brakes work as they should? have the bars and levers been set up etc.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah much of what's in this thread is completely wrong.

The double blip is simply a technique where the first blip of the throttle lifts the front wheel to the top of an obstacle. The second blip drives the rear wheel into the base of the obstacle. This is effective for small obstacles up to about 1/2 the wheelbase of the bike. 

The Jap Zap (yes it was first deveoped by a Japanese rider) is intended to get up higher obstacles by intentionally running the front wheel into the face of the obstacle at a height that will store maximum energy in the springs and using the rebound of both suspensions to lift the entire motorcycle. Essentially when it is done correctly the front wheel is vectored straight up followed by the rear wheel which impacts the obstacle near the same point as the front wheel. This allows the rider to climb obstacles greater than the wheelbase of the bike.

The technique where the rear wheel contacts first is called a splatter and it involves violent compression of the rear suspension and sometimes a "kicker" to get more lift. Splatters require dumping the clutch at high revs to get the bike to rotate after lift-off to contact the obstacle rear wheel first at some altitude above the base of the obstacle. The size of obstacle you can get up with a splatter is solely limited by how high you can jump, hence the kicker, and the size of your, er... cajones

• Like 5