Is something up with EM?

dan williams

16 hours ago, craigrushton said:

This is still not a truely progressive torque clutch as it has no torque feed because its only connected between the throttle and throttle input to the controller..  maybe one day someone will do it correctly :-). i.e throttle for speed and clutch for torque.

That's only a poor simulcrum of a clutch. A real clutch allows you to release stored energy in the flywheels of the engine to provide acceleration beyond what the engine will provide from rolling on the throttle. This thing is just a parallel controller to the twist grip. It's totally unnecessary. Like swimming pools full of fat german businessmen pretending they're acrobats, forming pyramids and frightening the children (another obscure reference)

Now if that controller was linked to a bank of super caps that dumped additional current into the motor for a short period it might be closer to an actual clutch as used in trials.

Edited by dan williams

What they need is William's energy storage flywheel. It was never used in F1, but it did get used in LMP1 I believe. From what I recall the implementation, even in that use case, was incredibly small and spun at some several hundreds of thousands of rpm's. Just have the electric motor spin up a small version of that little bugger and, fitted with a clutch, it should have some pop ;)

there is no need for flywheels as a Electric motor can produce as much torque as you need ( unlike a ICE motor which has a peak torque plato ) as a instant hit ( within reason ) it will have to be limited pretty quick afterwards though for the motor to survive .. and the controller would also be able to handle the phase current from the motor. it should be fine for a trials application because there will be quite long periods where itsl not be needed..

I used to have the same problem with people grabbing the throttle .. I over come this by using a very short lanyard around my wrist ( throttle side ) so basically when my hand is not on the throttle then the bike is disabled. I have been thinking about doing it electronically with a proximity detector and a small magnet sewn onto a glove.

• 1 month later...