Montesa/Honda 348 ?

netley

Hi, I bought a Bultaco 350t Sherpa last year and after many hours of knuckle grazing managed to rebuild and get it road registered. I'm now taking my first tentative steps in trials riding.

I've been offered a Montesa/Honda 348 as a project at a reasonable price that will need some work.

I'm not sure of the age or anything. Are parts readily available and are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I learnt a lot with the Bultaco and this forum was huge help so any advice gratefully accepted.

Neil

I've just emailed them and I'll chase them up on Monday.

I'm hoping it's going to be a possibility as I'm looking forward to it. Had the Bultaco from them ( The Twinshock shop) last year and they were pretty honest as to its faults.

Hi Netley

In answer to your original question, most parts are readily available from the likes of InMotion trials in Surrey and others, and parts regularly surface on ebay.

However.....

If the motor needs a rebuild then you're in for some "fun" 'coz it was designed by a complete sadist! If you need to split the cases/ do the crank seals you'll need to make a special puller to get the primary gear off and it's a b@astard of a job. Other little gems include a shimmed up crankshaft and gear cluster, gearbox sprocket driven onto a taper, L/H thread on the ignition flywheel, barrel nuts recessed into the cylinder (which then rust solid so you can't get the barrel off), weird-a***d gear selector mechanism with strange "adjuster".....the list goes on!.

I've just finished rebuilding a MH349 (similar engine, just a bit bigger). Now it's running I love it and it's great fun, but there were times when I was rebuilding the motor when I  thought I was going to cry! And if I ever meet the guy that designed the motor (unlikely I know) then I definitely won't be shaking his hand....!

Good luck!!

Gavin

• Like 3

Hmm. Food for thought indeed.

Thanks for the warnings. I was going to presume it would need the motor rebuilt as the crank seals would be likely to need replacing at the very least.

Cheers, Neil.

Hi Neil

I might have come across a bit negative about the old Mont's there!

A lot probably depends on how much you're paying for it, and how handy you are with the spanners. I bought mine for a hundred quid with a seized top end 'coz the guy couldn't be bothered to fix it. I've put about 400 quids worth of parts and well over 100 hours of my time into mine, and it's still scruffy and needs new tyres.

It's great fun to ride now it's done, and I know the bike inside out because I've rebuilt every nut and bolt of the thing. And in a weird masochistic way I enjoy the ongoing tinkering!

If you're in a similar position and enjoy a mechanical challenge then go for it. But if you're paying market price and you're gonna pay someone else to spanner it then forget it - you'll never get your money back on it 'coz these old Monts don't seem to be worth a fortune (sadly)

And if you just wanna ride a (properly engineered) bike, and stick to routine maintenance then buy Japanese!

Thanks Gavin.

I do need the truth to be told. I will be buying it mostly unseen as it's a 200 mile round trip to where it's located. They have been honest before and they are enthusiasts themselves. I'm looking at £800 as it stands and they've promised to try starting it and send me some pics later today so I can find exactly which model it is.

I'm reasonably handy with the spanners and would do all the work myself and it would be either as a little project for me that hopefully wouldn't lose me money although if I prefered it to the Sherpa I may keep it. I don't want a showroom piece but a working bike to have fun with in not so sunny Cornwall.

I'll post pics as soon as.............

Cheers.

Neil.

Neil - I don't want to position myself as any sort of expert here but I think that might be a 349 not a 348. I say this because I think the 348's had frame rails running under the engine with a bash-plate bolted under them, whereas the 349 had no lower frame rails and used the bash-plate (and engine) as a stressed member. The photo isn't totally clear, but that's what it looks like. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to give you more info though.

I think the 348's were actually 306cc whereas the 349's are actually 349cc. Good news for your right-leg muscles!

As long as it turns over (even if it doesn't run) and selects all (6) gears correctly then I reckon you'll be safe paying 800 for it. Even if it needed a new piston/ re-bore AND a crank rebuild you'd still get your money back (as long as you did the work yourself), 'coz it looks pretty complete apart from that....

• Like 1