Montesa/Honda 348 ?

netley

Yes I'm definately interested as long as the engine is ok as it seems they aren't exactly straightforward to rebuild.

I've never really got on with left foot braking on my Bultaco being used to Japanese road bikes. I may prefer it but can't keep both.

If I get it I will probably be bombarding the site with questions.

thanks for all your input.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I picked the Montesa up yesterday and I have a few questions. The frame/engine no. is 51M22445 there are definately not any lower frame rails. After a cursory glance it looks like the bash plate is just hooked on at the back of the engine and doesn't give any rigidity.

Also, are the forks standard, is the fuel tank road legal, it looks like fibreglass, and is the carb original ?

pics to follow.

Hi, I picked the Montesa up yesterday and I have a few questions. The frame/engine no. is 51M22445 there are definately not any lower frame rails. After a cursory glance it looks like the bash plate is just hooked on at the back of the engine and doesn't give any rigidity.

Also, are the forks standard, is the fuel tank road legal, it looks like fibreglass, and is the carb original ?

More pics to follow.

20170401_074359.jpg

20170401_074439.jpg

The bashplate is not the original one and doesn't fit very well.

I wouldn't worry much that it is not working as a stressed member with those rear mounting clips like that.

The motor castings are easily strong enough to act as the frame member as long as the engine mount bolts are kept tensioned and you are not planning to ride at world trials championship level or race it over the jumps on a modern MX track.

• Like 1

Keep the spokes tensioned nicely with that hub because they are known to crack around the spoke flange if the spokes are not kept tensioned properly. I'm not sure if it is the Honda hub from that photo, but the later model Montesas had them and it looks like one from what you can see.

• Like 1

UK Montsas usually have an aluminium tank inside a fibreglass cover. I'm sure you could get one of the aluminium tanks and use your tank to make the cover from. Sorry I don't know the road-legal status of fibreglass tanks in the UK in 2017