Montesa/Honda 348 ?

netley

If it was legal then it will be legal now.  I can't remember when the law changed back to allow non-metal tanks but you should be OK.  You'll never find one of the alloy under tanks I'm sure, but they were prone to cracking anyway.

Front brake linings must be near disappeared to judge from the angle of the arm, assuming a standard length cable.

• Like 1

I'll have a chat with my local bike mot station. It's owned by Melroy Youlton who was pretty handy with Bultaco's and Montesas's, still trials to this day and will always be better than me !!!

I'm juggling a few projects at the mo' and I'll report back as things come to light.

• 2 weeks later...

My local MOT station says the plastic tank is ok. Having cleaned out the tank and thoroughly cleaned the carb, it starts pretty easily. Definately need the de-compressor though.

Could anyone give me some guidance as to what does what on the carb. It's an Amal L2627 410.

There was a plastic tube that connected the 2 pipes shown under the AMAL names to the rear of the carb, one shows in 1st pic, but there is another on the other side, which was split so I have teaken it off until I can find a replacement. What does this do?

I presume the screw pictured on the left is the slow running screw (?) and the one on the right is the tickover adjuster (?). Anything else I should be aware of?

If anyone can enlighten me that would be a great help.

Cheers.

Neil

20170411_145620.jpg

20170411_145642.jpg

20170411_145722.jpg

20170411_145744.jpg

20170411_145753.jpg

20170411_145812.jpg

the hose nipples under the words AMAL are the bowl vents. Some people join them and leave a slit in the hose, like yours was. It's also OK to fit a short hose on each one. The layout of the vent hoses ideally minimises the amount of petrol that flows out of the bowl if the bike takes a tumble, and prevents water getting into the bowl via the vents.

Yes you are correct about the two screws on the side

The starting lever handle has been bent downwards maybe to clear the frame brace, or to make it easier to reach

The needle jet and needle wear out extremely fast, so if it seems to have poor jetting that would be a good thing to have a look at replacing.

• Like 1