Montesa Cota 348 Clutch

Dan94Williams

Hi,

i had a problem with the clutch dragging on my 348, I have changed the clutch oil and gearbox oil but it is still dragging when I put it into gear so it isn't fully disengaging as it is trying to drive with the clutch held in. 

Does anyone have any advice as to what the problem might be and what I could do to solve it?

thanks

dan

When you say it's dragging, do you mean it actually creeps foward with the bike in gear when the clutch is in? Or is it just hard to find neutral at a standstill?

I ask because plenty of people (myself included) sometimes struggle to find neutral at a standstill - it seems to be a feature of these bikes.

If it's really bad, there's a few bits you can check without opening the side case, as follows:

# Stretched clutch cable

# Badly lubed / knackered clutch cable

# Bent clutch lever

# Bent clutch actuating arm (the bit that comes out of the top of the side casing)

If none of those solve it, pull off the clutch side casing and check the little brass plunger that sits in the side casing - it might be worn (you can get new ones from InMotion trials) thus preventing the clutch fully disengaging. While you're in there, have a look at the three-legged "spider" that the brass plunger pushes against - it might be bent. If it is, this would also prevent the clutch disengaging properly.

Good luck!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, montesamadness said:

When you say it's dragging, do you mean it actually creeps foward with the bike in gear when the clutch is in? Or is it just hard to find neutral at a standstill?

I ask because plenty of people (myself included) sometimes struggle to find neutral at a standstill - it seems to be a feature of these bikes.

If it's really bad, there's a few bits you can check without opening the side case, as follows:

# Stretched clutch cable

# Badly lubed / knackered clutch cable

# Bent clutch lever

# Bent clutch actuating arm (the bit that comes out of the top of the side casing)

If none of those solve it, pull off the clutch side casing and check the little brass plunger that sits in the side casing - it might be worn (you can get new ones from InMotion trials) thus preventing the clutch fully disengaging. While you're in there, have a look at the three-legged "spider" that the brass plunger pushes against - it might be bent. If it is, this would also prevent the clutch disengaging properly.

Good luck!

Hi,

it is actually creeping forward and it's also hard to find neutral. I will have a look at those things you suggested and see how I get on! :) 

many thanks!

dan 

Ant - I can't speak for a 248 because I've got a 349. If the 248 is similar to the 348 / 349 then the brass plunger is a piece of pi$$ to change. It takes longer to get the side casing off than it does to pull the plunger out.

With a clean bike and a new primary gasket and brass plunger, it's a 5 minute job from start to finish

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, montesamadness said:

If the 248 is similar to the 348 / 349 then the brass plunger is a piece of pi$$ to change.

I think the 349 is just a bigger bore version of the 248. I'm even wondering if I can up-CC mine at some point if I want to, but that's a thread for another time..