Classic Yamaha action

laird387a

Glove on left hand, but not throttle hand............never knew that

The tinkerers today would have a field day with that bike, footpegs too high & too narrow (steel too, how much extra weight)

Top yoke clamps too far back and they'd straighten up the clamps, drum brakes - you'd have to fit a front disc (a la Pinky).

Maybe tubeless rear rim too as those tubed tyres will never win you a Trial

Lights too, they'd have to go, as you'd never win a Trial today..... with all that extra weight of a speedo and lights

My oh my, how we have tinkered with old bikes in 2017, doubt they're any better nowadays... than the bike Scarlett won that Trial on:lol:

Edited by johnnyboxer

3 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

The tinkerers today would have a field day with that bike, footpegs too high & too narrow (steel too, how much extra weight)

Top yoke clamps too far back and they'd straighten up the clamps, drum brakes - you'd have to fit a front disc (a la Pinky).

Lights too, they'd have to go, as you'd never win a Trial today..... with all that extra weight of a speedo and lights

My oh my, how we have tinkered with old bikes in 2017, doubt they're any better nowadays... than the bike Scarlett won that Trial on:lol:

Hi John,

Noticed your earlier comment about the glove and wondered why, so delved through the pile of negatives in the archive and found this shot  - don't know whether it was earlier or later in the event - but checked some more shots of Tony and found he did normally wear gloves on both hands.

Enjoy

default 1.jpg

• Like 1

Johnny Boxer puts up a self defeating argument, taking it to its logical conclusion then surely Tony should have been riding a twin shock TY250 ?

Never mind that today most good centre riders on a modern bike could probably manage those sections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laird387a said:

Hi John,

Noticed your earlier comment about the glove and wondered why, so delved through the pile of negatives in the archive and found this shot  - don't know whether it was earlier or later in the event - but checked some more shots of Tony and found he did normally wear gloves on both hands.

Enjoy

default 1.jpg

Gloves now on both hands, maybe he dropped one in the earlier picture and just rode on

Edited by johnnyboxer

2 hours ago, roman2222 said:

Johnny Boxer puts up a self defeating argument, taking it to its logical conclusion then surely Tony should have been riding a twin shock TY250 ?

Never mind that today most good centre riders on a modern bike could probably manage those sections.

But they couldn't back then!!! & we all had access to a Yamaha..

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, johnnyboxer said:

It was one of the first things I got told when I went practicing on my Beamish Suzuki.

oh you need to change the top yoke for the old Suzuki type and you need to move the pegs.

so far I have entered 3 trials and won my class in 2 with the bikes stock setup.

so yes are these mods really needed after all lol

• Like 1

On 21/03/2017 at 5:42 PM, shakennstirred said:

It was one of the first things I got told when I went practicing on my Beamish Suzuki.

oh you need to change the top yoke for the old Suzuki type and you need to move the pegs.

so far I have entered 3 trials and won my class in 2 with the bikes stock setup.

so yes are these mods really needed after all lol

I'll bet your 5'8"

@shakennstirred

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, breagh said:

Aye Ross these auld twinshock girds should be kept as stock as practicable, just end up like  these pre 65 jokers.

You know you don't need to modify them just decent tyres and try a bit harder.

People go round in circles modding old bikes and can't remember if they were better or worse than before..............but justify it to themselves, saying it must be......... because the mod cost them £500

• Like 2