Mud

steam

Uphill and slippy muddy entrance to section. Tried starting off in 3rd with weight over back. Could not even get into section. Same if I sat down and padded. could not get initial  grip to start off.

Any advice appreciated.

On 22/03/2017 at 8:46 AM, steam said:

Uphill and slippy muddy entrance to section. Tried starting off in 3rd with weight over back. Could not even get into section. Same if I sat down and padded. could not get initial  grip to start off.

Any advice appreciated.

Depends on mud.

Different types, deep shallow grassy etc.

If you spin it in 4th it might work on deeper stuff.

second and very careful use of throttle can work ditto first, but from what im imagining you need to look around and see if there is a run up even small or grippy part to get going.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I ride mud a LOT. (I trail ride very tight stuff all the time).

For me, I keep very low tyre pressure, very, very light throttle and lug the engine. Often I'll use 1st gear and tractor. If I'm tired or really slick, I'll site way back so the front tyre is just barely on the ground (I have a real seat). This is quite effective for me (but of course I'd likely get a 3 if in a section).  I can do quite well unless the mud gets up over the foot pegs and the higher clearance enduro bikes have ridden through. Then it will just stop if going slowly. (Same in deep snow).

All these other guys know way more than I do, but it seems to be effective for me. (Especially since I'm trying to save energy, just get through while not falling and not worried about 'dabs')

I was trying to find a vid I've done, but couldn't really find one. this one isn't particularly muddy- but VERY steep and quite slick (wet salal). The guy in front was on an enduro bike, so have the extra weight to deal with (he is a lot better rider than I am). But perhaps my thoughts on low engine speed and no spinning will come through.

Again- this just works for me, and perhaps might help in a section were you are going to get a 5 or get a 3 instead.