Advice for a beginner...

carty

Following a twenty + years sabbatical, i am feeling the need to get back into beginners trials. My previous bike (which wasnt with me for long due to some crooked thieving low life :angry:) was a Yamaha Pinky.

I'm looking for advice on the following please:

Choice of bike:

I am 5'10 tall and 100 kg.

I have roughly £1200 to £1400 spend

Having looked on the various auction sites for available bikes, i think my options are:

Beta Rev,    Sherco,    Gas gas,    Scorpa SY (similar to my previous Yam?) obviously i have no experience of these newer machines and looking for guidance.

I am assuming a 250cc will be the right capacity, with me slightly larger than average? :D

All / any advice greatly received ie suitability for me, reliability,  parts availability, ease of maintenance ect ect.

Insurance

Who are good to deal with for insuring my potential purchase?

What requirement do they have as far as security and storage is concerned?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Carty

Try MSM for insurance, they are one of the few where competition usage doesn't void it. I think they need a garage and a thatcham approved security device, typically chain and ground anchor.

There are loads of which bike/what CC threads on here. It all boils down to personal preference, but lot's of people are of the opinion that a 125 can do everything a novice needs even for fairly large riders. Beta evo/rev 200 seems to be the most recommended.

I wouldn't be too fussy about model/capacity, better to focus on mechanical condition.

• Like 1

A clean sy250 would be a great bike, probably the most reliable of bikes that age, but as said above best to go for as clean a bike as you can irrespective of make. Personally i would go for a 250, an oldish 125 will have even less power than when it left the factory

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, johnnyboxer said:

Out of sight then, covered box trailer or van to and from events/practice

Open trailers or bike racks are too visible

Yes absolutely. Van will be the chosen transport.

Transporting on a trailer was how the Pinky was stolen.

The scum followed me home from Guisborough and took the trailer with the bike attached, whilst i was unlocking my garage to put it away.

I've never been so shocked........ i returned to the car within 90 seconds and it was gone!

I actually thought it was my neighbour playing a practical joke on me.................. sadly it wasn't.

Think i might also invest in a Rattlesnake (with toothache) as additional security.

Carty

Edited by carty
wrong spelling
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I'm new to this forum (so immediately apologise, although I've been following it for along time) and I've come back to trials after a twenty five year absence. I have a Beta Evo 290 2010 (a dream compared with the bikes I used to ride up to my twenties, TY80, TY175, TY250), my wife has a Beta Rev 3 125 2007, and its true that I can use her bike just as easily as mine for most things. These bikes are a world away from what I used to ride. Now, many people would say, why use a 290...its far too much power for you and pros can do anything you can do with much less...and you (I) certainly don't need that power, and they may be right. I grew up on Addingham Moorside, Yorkshire next door to the Lampkins and when I was 8 yrs old I had a TY80 and I spent some time with John Lampkin, who at the time was 15 or 16yrs old and had a 250. He demonstrated to me a few sections on his bike and as a little 8yr old, said thats all very well but my 80cc bike can't do that...at which point he got on my 80cc (child's bike) and completed everything he had just done on his 250!! We're not all Lampkins of course and I just wanted to say that firstly, we don't all fit children's bikes, and although I can do most things on my wife's 125, at 6'3 and 15 stones, I actually find my 290 really easy to ride and I get away with larger obstacles, using much less power and feel much more in control...my point is to those who say, unless you're Dougie Lampkin, you shouldn't use more than a 200, I don't think that's true. Sometimes the ability to climb a hill or clear an obstacle with a lot less throttle can be more reassuring to riders than having to use max the throttle...no doubt I'll get battered for my comments and being new to the forum I'll accept all criticism...These bikes have changed and I was much more terrified by my old bikes than the new ones.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lopez said:

I keep my Evo in the kitchen. I wash it outside, dry it down and then wheel it through the door. It's not completely theft proof but it's a lot better than keeping it in the wooden shed in the garden.

Don't tell me: Your wife's just left you and you have no idea why!

• Like 1