Premix and any other info

manwithtool

Just bought a 300RR and according to the manual it says 100:1 premix.  Seems a bit low seeing as I run my Beta on about 75:1 .  Any advice as I'm not too keen on keeping separate fuel, but will do what's best for the bike.

Any other info on maintenance appreciated.  I know there's not much grease on a Beta's headstock bearing, do the TRS spare the grease as well ? is it worth stripping headstock and rear suspension linkage down before it does too much work.

The bike is used by my son and he's only done 2 hours practice to run it in so far.  But he is absolutely chuffed to bits with it.  The suspension is fantastic.

If I were you, I'd probably just mix them both 80:1 and call it a day, just to keep the fuel uniform. I have to mix for two different bikes at very different ratios and it's a pain. I don't think you'll do the TRS any harm at 80:1.

• Like 1

The Vertigo's don't run 200:1, at least not all of them. I know they seem to recommend that in the UK, but the manual very plainly says 0.75%, which is 133:1.

Given the vagaries around mixing (is the measuring device perfectly accurate? How much oil did I leave in the mix cup? How was the fuel measured? Is that device perfectly accurate?) I still think whether you mix the TRS at 80 or 100:1 will make no difference. 

• Dislike 1

I have used 80ml to five litres for years on various bikes. I have done the same with my TRS as I tend to ride longer single lap events.

I tried 60ml to five litre recently and couldn't say I noticed any difference.

Linkages and head bearings have been stripped once,  they had been greased properly at the factory.

Mines a 280 RR,  very happy with it 

• Like 1

Thanks All,

I would normally go by the handbook as said above they know best.  But the emissions thing could be a factor !  I'll have a think but will run a bit more oil for the first trial as it gets run in.

Always like grease nipples, would like to see them on the rear linkage but I guess they are a bit vulnerable.  But would save alot of time stripping it down and washing out and re packing.   

I've always run my GG at 50:1 (as recommended by the oil manufacturer) never had to clean my exhaust in 6 years and my engine is like new inside! 

I run my air-cooled bikes on 40:1 or lower! 

Edited by suzuki250

Manufacturers of 2t EFI bikes recommend very lean mixtures to enhance fuel atomisation at the low pressures their EFI systems work at. Whether such mixtures promote engine longevity is questionable to say the least.

If you get exhaust clogging it is because you are using crap oil, crap fuel or your carburation is incorrect. If the oil and fuel is good and carburation correct you do not get exhaust clogging even at 20:1

43 minutes ago, dadof2 said:

Manufacturers of 2t EFI bikes recommend very lean mixtures to enhance fuel atomisation at the low pressures their EFI systems work at. Whether such mixtures promote engine longevity is questionable to say the least.

If you get exhaust clogging it is because you are using crap oil, crap fuel or your carburation is incorrect. If the oil and fuel is good and carburation correct you do not get exhaust clogging even at 20:1

What other 2t EFI bikes are there aside from the Vertigo (genuinely curious... I'm not aware of anything else outside the trials world, and Vertigo is it inside with Ossa gone). Not sure what mix Ossa recommended, but the 133:1 on the Vertigo doesn't strike me as a ton off what the TRS is recommending (100:1) and what a lot of GG owners have mixed their bikes at for quite a long time (also 100:1).

Well, by the same token, all those manufacturers generally spec new pistons at around 100 hours. The TRS manual for example says to replace the piston and cylinder annually. GG was something like 100 hours for a piston. Vertigo is the same (unless under competition use, then it says 60 hours). Of course no one does any of this maintenance at those intervals, but the point is, they could certainly get away with spec'ing really lean oil mix ratios if they also tell you to tear down the top end every year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oni nou said:

Yes agreed, think all this stuff gets complicated because  people are taking information from different sources that are conflicting ........one of these days I am going to have a word with one of the trial bike manufacturers engine designers and get some information from someone that actually knows what they are talking about. 

What manufacturers say and actually do are two completely different things, and I speak from experience.

If you want to talk to the experts when it comes to engine lubrication speak to the oil manufacturer :thumbup:

Edited by suzuki250

Well , lots of info and opinion there ! 

One issue I was made aware of on a 98 Beta that I took a crankshaft into a local motorbike workshop.  They said they had never seen so much carbon build up on the crankshaft, the surfaces not the bearing surfaces.  So I'm not sure how carbon can build up in the crankshaft as no burnt gases can get in the crankcase other than blowing by the piston ?

Anyway, point being too much oil can maybe lead to build up of carbon which is obviously very abrasive, only a problem if it can find it's way into the crankcase or cylinder.

I think I'll run the TRS on the same as the beta....75:1 .