Why aren't there more 'fun trials'?

turbofurball

I went to a 'fun trial' today and it was fantastic - why aren't there more?

For those who've not seen them before, you get sections with start and end gates but what you do between them is up to you; it gives a surprisingly greater focus than just practicing free-range, you get a bit of social time with other riders (and see how they approach things), and makes it easy for the club because you don't need observers.  Some of the start or end gates can be in tricky places, but really it's up to the rider to set their own difficulty.

• Like 1

You could ride the Gentlemans* route, then you choose which route to ride on each section - Expert, Clubman or Novice route, or, any other route to the End gate - it's up to you.

* Gentlemans = through the Start gate, then any route you wish to the End gate.

Edited by stpauls

We run our Fun Trials events as "Gate" trials http://www.wmta.us/scoring.html

This allow riders to chose their own challenges,it's a weatherproof trials as you can just choose easier gates if weather is foul. Riders can't get upset with Trialsmasters nearly as much,and it makes for simple observing,any dab and no score for you in that section. Theoretically could be a safer trials but human nature seems to make guys just have to try the tough stuff (-:

• Like 2

Today I'm heading to Lothian Trials Club certainly for what I would class a fun trial.

Two easy routes one aimed at the raw novices other at very average clubmen/women.

THere's no awards or really classes mark yourself  .

Free tea/coffee biscuits  at the sign on totally laid back £10 to enter.

Advice/help for any new folk that turn up.

All there trials are the same just trying to get folk to dip there toe in the trials water.

A great day out on the bike and I would suggest every club trial should be run that way mine too if the committee would wear.it

• Like 3

You're moving off topic old bean however let me inform you that I have patented the 5 section  8 lap trial.

In a few months all organisers will be begging me to allow them to use the format

Back on topic Lothian had a misely 82 entries today I don't know why clubs bother with these fun trials only about half the entry were new folk.

• Like 1

Thanks for the invite but they wont be "my kind" of riders.

Yesterday was a disgrace half didn't know the rules and some had full face helmets and one even had a home made bike.

I can't associate with these people.

Seriously assume Penkridge is just like Lothian so keep the faith.

• Like 1

I've just been to what we call a "Practice Trial". It's set out as a proper trial, with all grades set out as they should. The differences are;

No score sheets

No observers, (local trials don't have these anyway),

Ride with your friends, Bringing along potential new riders

Ride whichever sections you choose.

Ride the section (or parts of it) in what ever grade you  feel you can cope with.

Which is perfect for trying the next grade up to see if you can cope with it,. also as commented above getting advice/training from better riders.

Also good for testing out a new setup (or bike you've just built). .

The aim is very much about being social and having fun. The organisers even break out the barbecue. Many thanks to them, More fun than a proper trial.

Maybe this sort of trial should be as frequent as "proper trials these days, as it would give people a chance to practice that wouldn't otherwise have access to practice areas.... Just a thought.

• Like 1