Adult beginner bike

popmonkey69

Hi all,

Starting up (coming from road riding) and thought id ask advice on a good beginners bike ?

I'm around 14st 5'7" with a touch of Ducks Disease  ( Short legs :D )

Done a few Trials Schools on Scorpa 175s and SY250s a few years ago and rode Motocross for just fun for a bit

What would suit my ample weight and less than ample stature :D

Cheers

Any modern bike regardless of capacity will cope with your weight no problem. All have similar seat height so no real best bike in that regard. As a beginner I'd keep away from a 300; 250 or 125 is fine. Probably comes down to findng the best condition bike in your price range locally if buying secondhand rather than narrowing your choice to one or two makes.

• Like 1

I'm slightly lighter and taller than you, my 125 GG lugs me about no problem - plenty of power for the forseable future, but little enough to keep me from getting into too much trouble (which could have happened a few times already, lol)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stpauls said:

Well, I see that you have a Sherco 290.  Not really a beginner's bike - far too fiery.  Something a lot less powerful might be a good start.

I had a 290 and was ready to start but got rid as I needed a road bike...

I am 14 stone and 5' 10" and if it was me I would say a Beta 200 would be a great bike as even my wife's 08 Gas Gas 125 doesn't have any real issues dragging me around.  If not almost any of the modern 250's will be great and only maybe a slow throttle tube to start with might be worth considerations but likely not needed.

My vote and 2 cents.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's interesting that most if not all of the posts I read recommend the Beta 200 for beginners, however there are so few on the market. 

Is this because they a so great that people keep them or that they just aren't being bought new. 

6 minutes ago, w-w said:

It's interesting that most if not all of the posts I read recommend the Beta 200 for beginners, however there are so few on the market. 

Is this because they a so great that people keep them or that they just aren't being bought new. 

I have a theory that the people sensible enough to buy a Beta 200 are often also sensible enough to keep riding one bike until it is worn out.

They are not usually a young person's choice for a bike because youngsters are only allowed to ride a 125 until they are 17 or whatever, by which time they are usually quite competent and full of beans and want something with a lot of stick.

Riders starting trials or returning to trials when older than the "junior" age group fit well with the Beta 200. My wife started trials at about age 45 on a Beta 200 and loved it.

• Like 1

Any budgetary constraints? Have you joined a motorcycle club? Do you intend to do modern trials, or are there frequent twinshock and/or pre-'65 trials in your area? Will you be entering trials alone or with one or two mates? If it's with mates maybe they could advise about which bike to go for. If you don't have mates (I know the feeling!) maybe turn up at a local trial as a spectator, introduce yourself to the organisers (and maybe join their club if you're not already a member of a club) then ask for advice about bikes. But..., having said all that, it's probably best to buy a used bike from a local trials bike dealer and then enter as many local trials (as a novice rider) as you can before you get bored with trials (or seriously hooked!) and then take it from there.  

Sorry for the hijack.

I'm on that journey (with no mates), been along as a spectator and said hello, very friendly bunch. 

Originally thought I would be interested in classic or twin shock, but it looks like there are more modern trials near me, so that's were I'll start. 

Now I'm looking for the right bike.... 

Where-abouts are you ? Why not go to an experiance day and have a go first.

Any modern 250 will do just fine, I would not spend more than £2K on a first bike, that way after a year of giving it a go if you move up or move out you won't lose a fortune.

Modern bikes are so easy to learn on, I started on a 1969 Monteas Cota 247 as a 12/13 year old and it started me on a lifetime of fantastic memories.

Good luck

I'm just on the border of Berks, Wilts & Hants. Most everything is about an hour away, although I have not heard about experience days. I'll have to look something up. 

Cheers