2008 beta rev 4t

vectradam

hi and hello to everyone.

i'm new to all of this and have just acquired the above bike. it needs a bit of tidying.

i have a couple of questions about the carb.

1/   where does the small  plastic pipe that is on the opposite side of the inlet manifold to the hot start knob go, mine is just hanging with an open end ?

2/ there is a right angle metal pipe facing upwards with an open end (about 12mm diameter) to the right of the black cap on the top of the  carb. is this supposed to be open or blanked off ?

many thanks for your help

Answers

1/   this goes to a spigot on the air box. I would blank off the air box spigot and put a fuel filter onto the end of the hanging hose once I have made sure the hose is clean.

2/     this is an atmospheric pressure inlet, I would put a short hose on this with some sort of filter on it. Maybe some neatly fitted air filter foam stuffed into the hose. 

3/ since you are already working on the bike, I would take the crankcase breather out of the airbox  and route the hose up high and put a filter on it. Make sure to blank off the spigot on the airbox where the crankcase breather used to go.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

i've followed advice so far and the bike runs absolutely fine and will tick over very smoothly all day long.  unfortunately it is very difficult to start.  

any more advice would be very welcome

many thanks

Hi ,  these engines need to be ran on a rich idle setting . Ive now set my needle on bottom clip postion (needle raised fully) . Mixture screw is about 3 turns from fully closed as its a fuel screw not air screw . Best way to set is start about 2 turns out and then turn out 1/4 turn at a time if idle rises turn idle scew to lower tickover keep doing this until no change in idle speed .

Good Luck Rob