lost it ?

on it

Has the SSDT lost it ? yes a full entry but  , A week to go and nothing no  posts or build up .The  last post march 16 and that was about Honda .When i was riding the trial  all 20 of them there was a buzz about it but nothing now ! Has it gone the same way as the named nationals of old, forgot and just another trial ? . Look at photos of old 5 deep of spectators now look 50 if lucky. People dont even want  go and watch .   A  total lack of build up for the ssdt 

Since I run the SSDT site I'm aware of the shortage of content. There is a preview article due to run on Monday and obviously there's a lot more during Trial week itself. A big part of the problem is who is going to provide that content? Who's going to take the time to sit down and write it? Everyone involved is a volunteer and, as the event gets closer, they're more and more tied up with whatever their main role is within the Trial as well as having their day jobs to do.

• Like 1

Am I one of the few that remember the T&MX published during the week of the SSDT when they had oodles   of photos from signing on and scutineering.

Piccies of riders with their specials, mods they'd made and bizarre riding kit.

even if you didn't go you still felt you'd got all the gossip and seen the various things to take your eye.

Now, a couple of photos and a paragraph of script if we're lucky, and then 10 pages about some MX event that no-one has even heard about before.

The only way to get the interest back, is to show people what the week is all about and what they miss by not going there! 

• Like 1

I guess it's a fine balance between lots of jobs and reducing number of volunteers .

Routes are kept under cover to stop illegal riding before and during etc.

With fuel costs etc then people can't always afford to go and spectate anymore - don't think it's just the ssdt.

having ridden. The ssdt a few time the coverage during the week is normally good to follow from your desk or armchair.

Think maybe just a sign of the times. Apart from the world round uk trials seem light on spectators as people have other commitments .

With the factories not as interested in the ssdt I guess it's more for the riders and close supporters now.

Not bought a tmx for years and the web is so good but very much for the now and not weeks in advance I can understand it may appear last minute but that's the way we consume things now.

With over subscribered entries something is still very good with the ssdt.

• Like 2

I ,ve been looking on this forum more as we get closer hoping to find a few titbits. However trials are for doing more than watching and there is plenty to do at the SSDT whichever side of the section markers you are. It,s also true that this is an open forum;...nothing to stop us speculating, reminicing etc etc. Lets be constructive and positive, as Andy said it,s all voluntary.

• Like 1

I've just had a chat wth the CoC and it's as I said - everyone is too busy, but we're going to try and do some stuff over the next week - sneak previews of new sections etc.

The whole not publishing routes thing is as much to do with maximising programme sales as anything else. With Trials folk being so notoriously tight thrifty, in the past people have printed the routes before leaving home to save themselves the £3 cost of a programme. With the proceeds of programme sales going to charity, more sales can only be a good thing.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, cabby said:

I was planning on heading through on the Friday, no much cope if I don't know where to go is it. 

I can see your point. Friday's the one day that never changes much so is no secret. Pretty much all sections by roadside out round Moidart peninsula.

• Like 1

If  I can chuck my oar in, I really don't think any of us really know the amount of effort every member of the SSDT organising group puts in and while we can all bleat on about a lack of info if we like but they have a shed load of stuff to do. We each have our pressures in life but these people have their lives to lead and organise the biggest trial on the planet..... don't give them a hard time!!

Edited by slapshot 3
  • Like 5

On 4/22/2017 at 9:38 PM, slapshot 3 said:

If  I can chuck my oar in, I really don't think any of us really know the amount of effort every member of the SSDT organising group puts in and while we can all bleat on about a lack of info if we like but they have a shed load of stuff to do. We each have our pressures in life but these people have their lives to lead and organise the biggest trial on the planet..... don't give them a hard time!!

I was not giving anyone a hard time, I know how much hard work is put in by ssdt org and I thank them for that ,What  I was trying to point out is the fact of NOTHING being posted by anyone, nothing getting asked, by riders or spectators or even chatting at trials about the ssdt