Beta Evo cooling fan not working!

harryharls

14 hours ago, riddler990 said:

Harry, Give this a try, I've got a problem with my fan coming on as well, and can reproduce it, but haven't dug in far enough to find the cause. Here's the scenario:

with the headlight switch in the on position, fan will not work. as soon as the headlight switch is pushed off, fan will come on as normal. lighting circuit interfering with the fan circuit, but how and why? try this with yours and see if there's an issue. And if anyone has any ideas as to my problem, I'm all ears.

Interesting! I'll give that a try...

The lighting and fan both run off the lighting coils. On the older bikes they both ran off the dc out of the voltage regulator. I believe on the newer bikes the lights run directly off the ac out of the lighting coil and only the fan runs off the voltage regulator.

The regulator is still fed from the lighting coils so fan and lights are still sharing the available current from the lighting circuit.

I've been out on my bike today and it's not working again :angry:. I just bridged the wires and left it on permanently while I was riding. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't just permanently leave it like this? It seems to me that once it's up to temp the fan's pretty much always on anyway really

• 4 weeks later...

Have/had a problem with the fan on a Beta evo 300 2017.

Tested the fan, it was ok.

Tested the thermo switch, it was ok.

Tested a lot of wires, all ok.

Then i tested the 12v regulator and it was putting out AC current and not DC. So it must have been the converter (not sure if this is the correct word in english) in the regulator that is broken. A new regulator is ordered, i hope it will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Took my brand new 2017 Evo 250 Factory edition for it's first ride yesterday, two hours into the ride the rear brake seized on. Not enough play in the rear brake, had to remove the clevis, zip tie the pin to the rear brake lever. Worked good after that. Will adjust it today.

One hour later my fan was not working! Ended up taking off the wiring harness and disconnect and reconnected the plugs, then scrapping off some more red frame paint at the ground connection. Worked fine after that for the rest of the day.

• 4 months later...

harryharls, Have you resolved the problem with your electric system? I have the same symptoms on my 2014 factory 250 2t. Lights don't work and the cooling fan operation is dependent on the position of the light switch. I've checked all connections and the ground of the rectifier and the ground under the seat. I'm in need of help to diagnose the problem.

Ok thanks. Interesting item that I've discovered on my machine is that the wires that attach to the two switches (lighting and ignition mode) were installed onto the opposite switch. I verified this using the wiring diagram from the owners manual. I thought this to be the problem so I corrected it by exchanging the outer contact plates/wires putting them onto the correct switch therefore it's actually the ignition mode switch (yellow) that toggles the fan on/off. Even so, there are still no lights and the fan only runs when the yellow switch is open. I fear that my bike was assembled by an amateur on the job for the first time. Next step for me is to see if there is any voltage at all coming from the rectifier. I suspect there is none.

(EDIT) I studied the wiring diagram more closely. I believe my switches were wired correctly and that the wiring diagram lists the switches improperly. #5 and #6 are actually #6 and #5 if that makes sense.

(Edit again) Found the problem today. The wires that connect the headlight to the wiring loom were shorting together. Once separated and properly insulated the headlight works and no longer shorts the wiring therefore the cooling fan works when the headlight switch is turned on.

Edited by monty348
found the problem

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't used my evo for some time now as I went to do a season of classic twin-shock riding.

Mine is the opposite problem, the fan runs continuously, starts to turn as soon as the engine starts.

Most likely the thermostat, but have not yet checked it with a multimeter.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I have a fan issue now. 

Iv checked fan with 12v battery that’s ok.

thermostate switch is working as it’s sending power through to the fan supply cable,  however I’m only getting 10volts on multimeter from that cable. Is that enough to supply the fan?.checked cable connections they look ok. Again lack of use causes problems.

water pump is working correctly all air has been remover from system. 

How do I bypass to make the fan run continually. At least I can ride. Cheers