TLR200 and TLR250 swinging arm drain holes and internal corrosion

esteve

I noticed a drip of water traced to the drain hole in the swinging arm. Poking around with a length of wire revealed a lot of rust partially blocking the drain hole and released several cc of water. I've squirted copious quantities or WD40 into the hole, and the hole on the other arm, and tilted the bike rearwards on the paddock stand to drain any water left in the swinging arm. I'll be taking the swinging arm off and giving the internals a more comprehensive flush with WD40 and am considering diluted (with white spirit) Waxoyl.

Anyway, something to look out for.

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

WD40 is primarily a solvent with some light oil.  This is not a very good, long term solution to the rusting.  A better solution is to get some of the product designed to convert the rust to iron phosphate.  This seals the surface and prevents further rusting.  You would need to remove the swing arm from the bike, seal a couple holes with duct tape and pour in about a cup of solution, tape the fill hole then turn it over and over to fully coat the inside surfaces, remove the tape, drain out any excess and let it drain and dry for a couple days.   

There are several companies that make such a product.  I have no connection with any of them.  My local hardware store sells a product called Krud Kutter Rustex-Rust Converter.  I have had good success using this product. 

• Like 1