Trimming the back mudguard loop - worth it?

turbofurball

Is it worth loosing the back mudguard loop, a la Majesty?

Is there anything needed to brace the two sides in lieu of it?

I kinda like having it for dragging the back about, but I'm also keen to shave some weight ... :wacko:

Having replaced that loop on a 250 Majesty I can only say you aren't going to lose much weight. Not all of them had it removed,I don't think its a particularly good idea. Be interesting to weigh the mud that sticks to a bike during a wet trial,I've even sprayed the underside of the mudguards with non stick spray which worked quite well.

If you are as old and lardy as me its probably better to lose weight yourself than trim stuff off the bike...

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, collyolly said:

No , don't waste your time, that's better spent riding the bike.

Well at the moment it's a bare frame that's getting Majest-ised, so no loss in riding time to be had :)

5 hours ago, jon v8 said:

Be interesting to weigh the mud that sticks to a bike during a wet trial,I've even sprayed the underside of the mudguards with non stick spray which worked quite well.

I was curious how much weight my enduro bike was accumulating all those years ago so I swept up the mud after hosing, let it dry then weighed it.  15 pounds.  OK, it would be more wet and a trials bike does not collect as much but a fair weight nonetheless - certainly in the context of what some folk will pay to save a fraction on, for instance, footrests.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I was curious how much weight my enduro bike was accumulating all those years ago so I swept up the mud after hosing, let it dry then weighed it.  15 pounds.  OK, it would be more wet and a trials bike does not collect as much but a fair weight nonetheless - certainly in the context of what some folk will pay to save a fraction on, for instance, footrests.

I rarely clean my bikes,so cheers for answering my question ! 

• Like 1

It was good enough for Mick on the Yams, Vesty on the Bults & Thierry on the Frantics, must of been good enough for the rest of us mere mortals surely???     All 3 of them rank amongst the greats of our sport, I'm thinking they had very good reasons for doing so ..     

• Like 1

It's a great mod for bum clearance but there is a trade-off. Frame strength is fine for riding, but if you crash it is much easier to bend the remaining frame stubs.

Those afore-mentioned amazing legendary riders very rarely crash, but newcomers to trials do tend to crash a fair bit.

• Like 2