Beta Rev 3 carb leaking please help.

betabell

The flat metal plate is a baffle to help alleviate the splashing of fuel around. 

Lets keep this simple.  You have a fuel cut off (needle and seat)  and a float level and that is where we need to focus on before we get into the weird stuff.... 

I will ask a few basic question for you to answer:

1.0 The bike leaks when you turn off and upright?

2.0 The bike only leaks when you rev it?

3.0 Does it leak when just idling?

4.0  You have made the adjustment exactly as in my instructions? 

5.0  You have made sure the floats are still buoyant?

6.0  Have you checked the condition of the viton tip in the fuel shut off jet and the adjacent brass female part?

7.0  Does your viton tipped shut off jet look like the picture (minus the clip)?

8.0  Is the spring mechanism still working on the viton shut off jet?

Lets verify first that the on and off mechanism (needle and seat) is indeed working correctly.

Adjust the centre brass tab so that it shuts off the fuel REAL early (remember that the carb is upside down when making this adjustments).

We are not concerned about fuel level for it running smoothly (we can come back later and fine tune it for smooth running) but rather does it shut off period when being stationary and revved. Don't try to ride the bike in this exaggerated state.  Does it still leak while being revved and stationary?

Lets work this out.

Cheers Billy

s-l500.jpg

Edited by billyt

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Billy I will answer all your questions when I have a bit more time, but thanks for all your help. I have a taken a couple of photos prior to seeing you post. My camera is a bit rubbish so I could not get a great photo of the mark in the float bowl that you requested. I will try and borrow a better camera. I have taken a couple of pictures of the side casting that is not straight and also the baffle again that is not straight. I am not sure if they are relevant or not. Maybe the float could rub against the baffle?

DSCF1568.JPG

DSCF1569.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2017 at 2:58 PM, betabell said:

Hello Billy I will answer all your questions when I have a bit more time, but thanks for all your help. I have a taken a couple of photos prior to seeing you post. My camera is a bit rubbish so I could not get a great photo of the mark in the float bowl that you requested. I will try and borrow a better camera. I have taken a couple of pictures of the side casting that is not straight and also the baffle again that is not straight. I am not sure if they are relevant or not. Maybe the float could rub against the baffle?

DSCF1568.JPG

DSCF1569.JPG

Did you ever get this sorted? My carb is off my sons Rev right now in pieces. Been doing lots of reading, and putting it back on bike tomorrow. Just curious of your results. 

Hello, in a word no. The bikes been sitting in storage. I can't believe how rubbish this carb is. I have brought a second hand carb which has had the mod done to it. I think this has holes blocked off and new vents drilled. I will swap this over and see what happens. If this is no better I will probably just go and buy a brand new carb and try my luck with that.

Did you take your carb off because you were having problems or just for a clean and service ?

I know some guys on here fit other makes of carbs. I think that is a bit beyond me in terms of setting it up correctly, jetting etc but in an ideal world I would like to fit a dellorto carb.

2 hours ago, betabell said:

I have brought a second hand carb which has had the mod done to it. I think this has holes blocked off and new vents drilled. I will swap this over and see what happens. 

Did you take your carb off because you were having problems or just for a clean and service ?

I owned the bike before for my oldest son. We sold it, and bought it back two years later for my youngest son. Bike had sat a lot for that two years. It ran horrible when we got it. I cleaned the carb up, adjusted the floats per this thread, and she runs great. I hope your new carb runs fantastically!

Thanks to all who commented here to help! 

I am glad you got it sorted. Yes this forum is great with lots of knowledgeable people who have help me. Mikuni carb and a few small things aside I love my rev-3.

I see from your profile delta that you have a evo how do you think it compares to the older rev-3 in your opinion?

9 minutes ago, betabell said:

I see from your profile delta that you have a evo how do you think it compares to the older rev-3 in your opinion?

Honestly, I'd recommend not riding one. I loved my Rev... And then I test rode an 11 Evo. 

• 3 years later...