Honda TLR200 Reflex

classic-trials

I'm looking at my TLR200 Reflex into a competition bike and wondered if anyone could give me some help on good people/company's that you've used. Ive sorted frame and tank unit but I'm looking for someone to rebuild the engine to competition standard as well as new rims, new front and rear suspension and new yokes. Also looking for a new exhaust system and a decent set of handlebars.

Any help would be appreciated.

The engine is as simple as it is possible to get an ohv single cylinder engine.   Get a Haynes manual for a cb125 and off you go.  There isn't too much you can really do to them. Make sure the cam bearing faces are 100%.

rear suspension has to be a set of either rock shocks or falcons.

front suspension is really use a set of TLR forks, wheel yokes etc.  I fitted a set of marzzochi forks and wheel from a 300 fantic. But it was a load of hassle getting it to handle as good as the reflex geometry.( with cut frame.)

I always use Talon engineering to build my wheels, and either use Talons own rims or excel rims.

There are a few different after market exhausts for sale, I preferred the "Delkelvic" but it's down to personal taste as much as performance.

get hold of a TLR sump guard as the steel reflex one is rubbish.

as to handlebars I prefer fat bars but others like conventional braced bars.  The reflex and TLR both have the clamps quite a long way behind the fork legs. I converted my yokes to a more modern position. It's not simple but it is possible. If you want to go down that route I can tell you how I did it or I can do it for you.

Cheers Trev.

4 hours ago, totalshell said:

sell the reflex and spend the money you were going to spend on a ready prepped bike. you had a shopping list of close to 3 grands worth of stuff new.. that plus your reflex gets you on a well set up tlr

+1 on this advice. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2017 at 3:45 PM, classic-trials said:

I'm looking at my TLR200 Reflex into a competition bike and wondered if anyone could give me some help on good people/company's that you've used. Ive sorted frame and tank unit but I'm looking for someone to rebuild the engine to competition standard as well as new rims, new front and rear suspension and new yokes. Also looking for a new exhaust system and a decent set of handlebars.

Any help would be appreciated.

When I was into airplanes, I used to see guys buy a decent airplane designed for a particular use, and then spend tons of money to modify it to get it to nearly equal another production airplane that they could have just bought, sometimes for much less than they tied up in the project plane.

My advice FWIW, decide what you are trying to end up with and see if someone already makes that bike.  BTW, I ride a TLR200, different sprockets, foot pegs, bars and non battery lights.