4RT first oil change

99techno

As a 260 owner I too had questions about service intervals so I contacted Dennis Overland, a U.S. dealer that is considered to be an expert in modern Montesa's. They ride, sell and service the brand. He told me to change both oils at about three hours, you need to give the metal surfaces time to run in. After break in he said change the engine oil every 15 hours and the filter every other oil change. Transmission oil every 30 hours. If you ride at the expert level he suggested changing the trans oil every 15 hours. He runs Elf in the transmission and 10w-40 (for winter) and 10w-50 for summer. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I have a manual, I was kind of looking for tips really from guys that have done it before, to make the job less painful! Lol.

Just one more thing, anyone know the torque settings for the crankcase bolts? Can't find it in the manual

I tried to find that spec too but no luck. Since you're tightening threads with oil on them into aluminum with a paper gasket I just went by feel and got them snug using the cross-cross pattern. I cleaned my bike after I was finished and just checked for any weeping oil while I rode for a while. It pains an engineer to not have a torque spec and just go by feel! ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fxstbi said:

I tried to find that spec too but no luck. Since you're tightening threads with oil on them into aluminum with a paper gasket I just went by feel and got them snug using the cross-cross pattern. I cleaned my bike after I was finished and just checked for any weeping oil while I rode for a while. It pains an engineer to not have a torque spec and just go by feel! ?

My manual does have a table of standard torque values to be used when not otherwise specified. 6mm is 10 N-m and 8mm is 22N-m

I shared this post with Dennis from Overland and he was surprised at how his oil change suggestions were interrupted.

He says that he has always recommend the first oil change (both engine and clutch) to be done within the 1st 4 hours of use and that includes the engine oil filter.  Then change the engine oil every 10 hours and the oil filter every 30 hours.  The transmission oil does not need to be changed every time you change the engine oil. The frequency depends on how aggressively you ride and slip the clutch. This could range from every couple months to 6 month intervals.

• Like 1