Rookie 247C question regarding head to barrel to crankcase

iconic558

OK, I think I understand this tortured way of screwing an engine together. It appears that the head is secured to the barrel by studs coming off the barrel, barrel is then secured to the crankcase via studs coming off the crankcase to tubular nuts with allen fittings..correct?

...and these barrel 'nuts' frequently sieze?

...is there anyway to apply say Plus Gas or WD-40 to these problematic nuts on a regular basis to avoid any future issues or are the nuts blind being covered by the head?

....hope that all makes sense:)

....for the love of Mary,  just what have I impluse bought?....metal on metal clutch plates, clutch springs held on with pins, brass clutch thrust bearings, odd sized pistons made from Unobtainium, tapered front sprockets, flywheels needing Cornish Beam engined sized pullers...anything else to add to the party?

But the old girl really is growing me, we seem to be a having a love/hate relationship, sort of takes me back to the 80's when I had a Spanish girlfriend. Lovely to look at, body to die for. But somewhat strangely wired with a few handling quirks, excentricities and surprises.

So today I'm in love, te quero mi moto mas bonita...yesterday we were talking who had the house...:P

cheers guys

Edited by iconic558

Yes the cylinder nuts are concealed by the head.

I think as well as looking amazing, they handle wonderfully

Some other character-building aspects are:

7mm threads on casing screws

7mm AF internal hex drive on cylinder nuts

Square drives on both brake arms

Unique tiny diameter brake shoe springs

Plastic (anti) bottoming cones in forks that spread and swell and jam

Triple clamps machined from alloy plate that eventually falls apart

Bizarre gearbox vent system

• Like 1

When I first got mine about 8 years ago it was more of a hate - hate relationship, I was tempted to torch it.  But I came to understand her and her little ways so that once I got her sorted she has been uber-reliable ever since - the sheared woodruff key but not much else.  Buy yourself the correct flywheel screwin extractor, you are going to need it :P

Looks like a pretty easy job to tidy it up ...I have three bodies - trail, trial as per yours and this more dual purpose body . Most of the time I leave the trials. tank on as it is pretty knocked about and I don't have to worry about it monty2012b.jpg

• Like 1

I do agree and was joking to some extent. I've put a lot of investment and time in to the basics and look forward to the time when I crash it less and strip it down and tidy it. It's a 1972 model and I'd like to see the frame back in silver (it's been brush painted black at some stage).

1 hour ago, keychange said:

Looks like a pretty easy job to tidy it up ...I have three bodies - trail, trial as per yours and this more dual purpose body . Most of the time I leave the trials. tank on as it is pretty knocked about and I don't have to worry about it monty2012b.jpg

:wub: that's beautiful

hmm, rather than move my footrests and all the hassle of relocating the brake pedal, I may indulge in some higher bars...my ergo's are a very tight and I'm only 5'9"

...they do look good with a silver frame.

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 1