SORN....

spen

.... be aware the DVLA are sending out letters stating that their records show a vehicle registered to you hasn't had SORN declared on it.
I've had two of these letters relating to bikes not used on the road and purchased by me in 2013 and 2014.

My wife keeps all the letters, receipts and emails on file relating to my bikes and other vehicles including DVLA correspondence and I can prove my vehicles are 'SORN'd'.

Be very wary of disposing of any letters or emails from DVLA as it looks like they're trying to hit you for the back tax or fining you for not signing log books over.

Hmmmmm, three and four years ago these two bikes were bought and SORN was immediately declared, funny they didn't contact me immediately about it but waited until I might have disposed of any proof that SORN had been declared.....

Beware......

• Like 1

My son has just bought a bike where the V5 and sorn form were sent off together,DVLA saying its not registered in his name,why is he applying for sorn ? I've recently bought and sorned a car for my daughter,sent off V5 and sorn form in the same envelope,new V5 came back,still showing as untaxed on DVLA website. Opened a case with them,waiting to hear back. Normally I've had really good service,I recently registered an old Chevy pickup and got logbook and number back in less than a week,all good.

Different people ,different office ?

I got one of these letters, I was shocked as I was sure I taxed all my bikes at the same time, checked my bank records and I had, then checked the DVLA site where you can check if a vehicle is taxed and bizarrely, it showed up taxed as I knew.....very strange. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine also declared SORN on a bike three years ago and has had a similar letter, he suspects an attempt to extract 'back tax' from those who can't prove they SORN'd at a previous date....

Just received this via email......

Thanks for warning on DVLA practices. Have already

experienced problems with them although not with

SORN as yet.

Letter arrived confirming that 'my postal notification

that I had scrapped one of my bikes had been received

and that I was no longer responsible for it!!!!!'

When I telephoned them i was told that the bike was removed

from the data base and that the registration number

had been reassigned. ( DVLA speak for  "on sale" ).

I only won my appeal because I could show that I still

had a complete V5C which included the section required

to notify that a vehicle had been scrapped but it was a

very close run affair. My opinion of them is unprintable.

No apology was ever given and I was told that it was only

due to their good practices that I was able to get every

thing relisted.

Have just checked online about my old TY175, it says tax due 1st Sept 1987 

It's been registered to me for 3.5 years and I can't remember nor have I any proof that I declared a SORN

So the dilemma is do I declare it SORN now before I get a letter or wait for the letter?

26 minutes ago, ourian said:

It's been registered to me for 3.5 years and I can't remember nor have I any proof that I declared a SORN

So the dilemma is do I declare it SORN now before I get a letter or wait for the letter?

I was in a similar situation to this and I got the bike MOTd and taxed it in 2013. Never heard anything more even though the bike should have been SORNd for about 10 years from 2002.

I get repeated problems with the DVLA because I have vehicles that are intermittently sorned / taxed but continually insured for road use.

I would advise anyone who has problems with DVLA incompetence to write to their MP. Public servants do not like having to respond to MPs enquiries and it causes quite a bit of nuisance for them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spen said:

.... be aware the DVLA are sending out letters stating that their records show a vehicle registered to you hasn't had SORN declared on it.
I've had two of these letters relating to bikes not used on the road and purchased by me in 2013 and 2014.

My wife keeps all the letters, receipts and emails on file relating to my bikes and other vehicles including DVLA correspondence and I can prove my vehicles are 'SORN'd'.

Be very wary of disposing of any letters or emails from DVLA as it looks like they're trying to hit you for the back tax or fining you for not signing log books over.

Hmmmmm, three and four years ago these two bikes were bought and SORN was immediately declared, funny they didn't contact me immediately about it but waited until I might have disposed of any proof that SORN had been declared.....

Beware......

Yep had the very same, this week with my 4RT Sorn it in 2014 and kept the proof

Phoned DVLA up and gave them the 2014 reference and they said it was an error on their part and there would be no penalty ....if I didn't have the proof I would have a fine for the last 3 years 

Sneaky 

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dadof2 said:

I was in a similar situation to this and I got the bike MOTd and taxed it in 2013. Never heard anything more even though the bike should have been SORNd for about 10 years from 2002.

I get repeated problems with the DVLA because I have vehicles that are intermittently sorned / taxed but continually insured for road use.

I would advise anyone who has problems with DVLA incompetence to write to their MP. Public servants do not like having to respond to MPs enquiries and it causes quite a bit of nuisance for them.

I don't think they're public servants any more, wasn't the DVLA privatised a few years back..... ???  Profit needs to be made now........

Edited by spen

Just had one of these letters through myself but I've never owned a road registered bike? 

It says it's for a 2008 bike, which I know for sure I've never owned because I started on a 2009 beta & worked my way up. The letters for a Gasgas so can't be that bike. 

18 hours ago, ourian said:

After doing a bit of research - apparently if the last time the vehicle was taxed was prior to 1998 and has not been taxed since - then no SORN is required.

However I'm not sure if this rule only applies until there is a change of owner

I would have thought, that as I became the new owner in 2013, the DVLA would have chased me for not SORNing it by now, but then this is the DVLA we're talking about

15 hours ago, spen said:

I don't think they're public servants any more, wasn't the DVLA privatised a few years back..... ???  Profit needs to be made now........

Probably not directly employed as public / civil servants anymore b ut more likely than not just the same people working working for a contractor who bid to operate the service / DVLA for the government at lowest price. Still since they hand out plenty of sh-ite then there is still good reason to deposit as much sh-ite on them as possible.

looks like they having a cash collection drive we currently having a similar set to with them over a car .Why do we allow ourselves to be bullied by legalised gangsters????? All part of UK PLC I suppose We read the notes on the log book regards SORN it says (and the same online) if you dont have the logbook to notify them in writing  ..did that but they are of course are allowed it seems to simply ignore that. Bunch of ****'s should try some productive work.