Trial GP

30 minutes ago, faussy said:

Think i preferred the FIM videos from previous years, twice the length, better camera work, production, and commentating

I have to agree.... I watched 2016 Belgian GP video and 2017 Spanish GP back to back last night and old FIM vids are better.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chewy said:

I liked it rob warner showed some enthusiasm and knowledge with his commentary which would help anybody understand why we like trials.

I like the fact that he addressed what everyone watching was probably wondering about.

"Trials is no stop, but it is a judged sport, so the riders do get away with pauses.  But not sliding back down rock ledges"   (or something like that, maybe not exact quote)

For the sake of FIM reclaiming some dignity if for nothing else go back to stop allowed.  This "Pause allowed" but call it no stop is just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Mmm, the "pausing" really doesn't appear to make all that much difference from regular trials ... love the high-speed qualifying bit though :)

Mr. Warner's accent really grates for me, which is a shame as it was otherwise a great video

14 hours ago, oni nou said:

Regular trials rules come from the FIM WTC rules ,they were  adopted by  the ACU for use in the British Trials Championships, national and club trials after much discussion between Thierry Michaud representing the FIM and British and European importers on how to make trials more appealing to newcomers and therefore sell more new bikes; after they had concluded that stop allowed techniques were ruining the sport and making it elitist.

The Catalans/Spanish  were clever as they kept their Championship  rules 'stop allowed' so they get to keep their hand in ; just in case the WTC reverts back to stop allowed.

From all the videos I have seen, the WTC is still 'stop allowed'. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baldilocks said:

From every trial I've been to since we tried stop = 1 trials is stop allowed.

Personal opinion, Trials is about control and skill.

Choosing a line and riding it non stop requires control of the motorcycle and skill

Being able to stop and balance requires control of the motorcycle and skill

Both are about control and skill, just different sets.

BUT stopping with a foot down shows a lack of skill and requires little to no control because the bike's own kickstand can do that without you.  So, I prefer when the rules are set that stop + foot down = 5.  With that rule at club level both styles of riding can be done in the same sections.  There is no need to make the sections increasingly harder, merely not allowing foot down while stopping increases the difficulty.

Not exactly sure if that same rule would have the same impact at the world round level.

But back to my comment about trials at WTC level.

8 hours ago, zippy said:

From all the videos I have seen, the WTC is still 'stop allowed'. 

Point I was trying to make is that if the rules are stop = 5 then they should be observing as such and sections should be set up for it.  The current way it is done is a farce, and shows trials in a bad light.

Sorry, hijacked thread, went on a rant.  Back to the video.  Like I said before, I enjoyed it but it needs more content, there were 15 sections I think and the video only covered a fraction.  So much more to see and share.  But if they have a limited budget that would make it difficult to get more in the video.

• Like 1