4RT 260 Temperature

jakerto

I have a new 2017 4rt...never had one before and just getting used to it...been riding in the backyard, mostly idling and after about 30 min at approx 80 degrees F, I've noticed the left crankcase cover is hot...to where you cant put your hand on it for more than a second. Is this normal? And should I be doing something to cool it off before shutting of the motor? Thanks

Most 4T's run hotter than the 2T's. 

My 4RT has always ben hot to the touch in comparison to my wife's Gas Gas so I changed to a different coolant (engine ice) and make sure if the fan is running when I stop riding to let it stop before turning the bike off.  Seems to work well for me and haven't had any issues with the bike.

My experience, hope it helps.  Your choice in the end what to do.  :thumbup:

4t's run hotter than 2t's and you have to accept it.? I had the same concerns with my '17, the temps in Texas run near 100 f and the fan hardly ever shuts off. It really bothered me for a while but it is normal so I just ride and enjoy. Just FYI, my Beta 300 4t fan runs constantly after it warms up, perfectly normal. I had to accept that too. :)

4 hours ago, fxstbi said:

4t's run hotter than 2t's and you have to accept it.? I had the same concerns with my '17, the temps in Texas run near 100 f and the fan hardly ever shuts off. It really bothered me for a while but it is normal so I just ride and enjoy. Just FYI, my Beta 300 4t fan runs constantly after it warms up, perfectly normal. I had to accept that too. :)

That advice is correct however no one has asked if the fan is running while you are riding, if the fan does not run at least part of the time you have a fault and the motor will be hotter than normal leading to serious overheating.

4ts and 2ts should run at about the same temperature in the cylinder head area. 4ts tend to have a hot engine all over because the engine oil picks up heat from the head and carries it to the crankcases. 2ts on the other hand have the fresh cold fuel / air mix regularly entering and cooling the crankcase.

If the fan is on all or much of the time check your radiator. You have to take it off and look through it at the light. Fine dirt / dust gets between the fins and cakes on creating a very effective insulator. Radiators easily lose 20 to 40% of their cooling capacity due to this especially with short front mudguards.

I've been running my bikes on Evans PowerSports Waterless coolant which started with a 2006 4RT. It doesn't make the fan run less but does operate to a higher temperature and expand less than water based coolant. It means you're less likely to boil over and cause the engine some serious damage.