trials bike mot.

Does the continuous tone rule not only apply to vehicles of an age after the date when this rule was revised? A pre'65 should be ok with a bulb horn?  Not that a tester would be likely to know or consider this.

I've always found it puzzling, for a safety related test, that it should be acceptable for a tyre to be presented in a "damaged" state, the wall having received the attentions of a buff.  I don't see how you could remove the writing without leaving marks.

From the manual " A motor bicycle first used before 1 August 1973 may be fitted with a bulb horn" However as well as the manual testers receive notices which can contradict general information in the manual.

I cannot give a definitive answer with regard to horns but I think it is the case that if pre 1973 motorcycles were fitted with an electric horn as standard (many were) then the tester can require them to be fitted with an electric horn.

Edit - a reason for failure is "horn missing" I suppose with regard to the above the tester could take the view that a pre 73 motorcycle that was manufactured with an electric horn, could be said to have a horn missing if the original type electric horn is not there

If you carefully remove the writing on the tyre with a flapper disc in an angle grinder the buff mark is near invisible, far less than scuffs caused by normal use.

Edited by dadof2
as noted in text

That megahorn is exactly the type I use. I only fit it at MOT time. Have had it about 5 years and still on the same battery. Try wiggle and Chain reaction cycles for same item at cheaper price.

My tester would not pass the M Part mini mega horn. It has a sort of shrill two tone sound.

• 1 month later...

I'm totally in agreement that it depends on the tester, I have a 63 camper that doesn't need seat belts, reflectors and a whole heap of other modern trickery. But some garages expect it to be the same test as the new series 5 bmw they have just tested. 

But my question is after the MOT, what is needed to be legally riden on the road. As I believe this to be different.

Also as an aside will 2017 bikes require side reflector when it come to mot time. As the age of a vehicle also changes what is tested. 

13 hours ago, w-w said:

But my question is after the MOT, what is needed to be legally riden on the road. As I believe this to be different.

A speedometer is not needed for the MOT but it is a legal requirement for road use.

Most MOT testers will pass a number plate which is not strictly legal - see previous posts

If the bike is to be used at night or in poor visibility you need lights.

If 2017 bikes are type approved with side reflectors fitted then it is probable that they will need them for a MOT. Without reading the EU type approval relating to the specific vehicle I cannot give a definite answer. We should be out of the EU by then.

Slightly off topic here but I would hope after we depart the EU the ACU will lobby for trials bikes not to need a horn or speedo and be able to use reduced number plate sizes.

That's interesting, so an Endurance II (or the like)  would actually be the only other thing required, as long as it is within daylight hours. 

I like the positive spin on Brexit :) dought the paper pushers will make any changes tho. Although I imagine the first changes would be back to bendy bananas.