Idle seems high ?

jacob4rt

Hi don't know if this subject has been covered before but I'm looking for some advice, the idle on my 2015 repsol seems high coming from a 2012 repsol. 

Is this normal & is there a way of adjusting this without causing any no start issues, is it as simple as adjusting the idle screw or is it not advised to do this and leave it as it is ?

also the bike seems to run much hotter than my 2012 250 4rt is this something anybody has experienced ? I know the bike isn't overheating the fan comes on and off as normal just seems hotter even the fuel tank is hot to touch after 10-15 minutes of use, may this be related to the high idle speed ? 

Any advise would be great thanks 

You want a way to capture the tick over speed (RPMs) to be sure your set correctly at 1800 and yes that's actually where it should be... from the manual "Engine idle speed 1800 ±100 min-1 (rpm) "

Edited by jonnyc21
fixed my typing error
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, jacob4rt said:

Is it as simple as that ? I have heard it can lead to no start issues adjusting the idle ? 

Yes it is that simple. It is good to use a tachometer to set at 1800 but if not available just adjust the idle screw a bit at a time whilst listening to the motor. If you go to slow and it doesn't want to start readily, just adjust a little back the other way, it is not that fancy. I think that it also depends a little on the programme that you are running, My older 250RR I ran a soft bottom end programme (Zogg3 from memory) and the bike performed reliably with idle set down at 1200 rpm

although the fan is cutting in/out....just check that the radiator fins are not blocked with mud/grit etc. Mine looked fine until I took it out to repaint it and found that it was close to 50% blocked despite a real good clean after every ride and a lot of the fins had been damaged by pressure washing  (I don't pressure wash so it was done by the previous owner).....Mine used to have a hot tank when riding and the fan used to cut in/out fine however, after a proper clean and straightening out & removing the most damaged fins the fan stays off for longer and no more hot tank....

13 hours ago, thall1 said:

although the fan is cutting in/out....just check that the radiator fins are not blocked with mud/grit etc. Mine looked fine until I took it out to repaint it and found that it was close to 50% blocked despite a real good clean after every ride and a lot of the fins had been damaged by pressure washing  (I don't pressure wash so it was done by the previous owner).....Mine used to have a hot tank when riding and the fan used to cut in/out fine however, after a proper clean and straightening out & removing the most damaged fins the fan stays off for longer and no more hot tank....

Thank you I shall have a look !