JTR370 Clutch.

colinf

My Nephew has had a JTX250 for a few years and recently picked up a JTR370 so we can ride/practice together while i rebuild my Bultaco 191. Both bikes reside in my shed as they are used nearby.The 370 had been stored a while around his mates garage as it belonged to a mutual friend of theirs who works away now and didn't have time to use it.I did give it a going over to recommission it including new pistons and seals on the front caliper,brakes and clutch bled, stripped and cleaned the carb,repacked the silencer etc as well as servicing it.First time we took them out it ran okay but once warm the clutch was slipping enough to prevent the front wheel being lifted.When i got it on the bench and removed the clutch plates the friction material had come unstuck from the plates! I can only find one complete set on-line for this model ( JTR370 Contact) for £93 .There are plenty for later models which are much cheaper and a set of friction plates rather than a complete set would do.Anyone know where i can get any?

There's nowt wrong with ATF, also used this for well over 20 years on lots of bikes. The probable reason why the fibres came away would be due to the glue used at the time was a water soluble glue for environmental reasons (I think the manufacturer at that time was Hoerbigger in Germany). When the water pump seal gives way and lets water in to the gearbox, the oil turns milky and if not changed soon enough, the fibre plates start to come apart. Sureflex can supply plates for these older bikes.

Bye, Peter B.

Thanks for that.You're probably right about the effect of water on the adhesive, did the water pump seals quite a while ago on the 250 and given the age of the bike it's more likely than not that it's suffered the same problem at some time.

Right, the post above was after reading the Surflex on-line off-road pdf catalogue.Just found a set of Surflex plates for all GasGas '87-'97 on a seperate search for £93 quid which were the ones i'd seen before .So looks like that's the only option then.