California registration for 1984 Fantic 300 - VIN & Motor # questions

drca

I just got myself a 1984 Fantic 300.  It's a non runner (stator failure - I'll post more in a different post to try to avoid mixing stuff).

I came with just a Bill of Sales (no paperwork whatsoever) and being California... it's already a problem.  I spent 2 hours at the DMV right after getting it and basically I need to get it inspected by the CHP (California Highway Patrol) :blink: to "certify" the VIN number and engine number.

But... there is no "standard" (13 digits) VIN on the bike and I couldn't find any engine number where I would expect one (i.e. behind the cylinder on the right side center case).  Here are photos of what I have:

2017-06-27 18.02.44.jpg

If anyone has registered a Fantic of that vintage in Califonia, any tip would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2017-06-27 18.02.11.jpg

2017-06-27 18.01.43.jpg

Edited by drca

I'm in Australia but my Fantic came from Canada, it has a 8 digit frame number and 6 digit engine number which was lightly stamped and hidden under the paint (refer pic).

If you require 13 digits as a VIN, could it possibly be FM40334004735, just a thought.

Engine Number Location.jpg

10 hours ago, fourex said:

I'm in Australia but my Fantic came from Canada, it has a 8 digit frame number and 6 digit engine number which was lightly stamped and hidden under the paint (refer pic).

If you require 13 digits as a VIN, could it possibly be FM40334004735, just a thought.

Engine Number Location.jpg

Great, thanks!  I'll start stripping the paint.

Side question: the hose that arrives just above the sprocket?  It's is missing on my bike so I don't know where is connects to.

I believe that is what the State of California calls a non conforming VIN.  The DMV will not find it on their computer so they do not know what it is.  Some or all newer Gas Gas bikes also come with a non conforming VIN.  The dealer provides new VINs which you see as a blue add on plate.  I managed to get a Mecha Techno 80 registered some time ago by getting the highway patrol to verity the non conforming VIN and the registration said Make Unknown, year 00/00/00.  At the time, I was told that the flood of Chinese bikes was triggering a continued tightening of regulations.

I assume this puts the DMV in a situation where there are no perfectly clear guidelines.  I have heard some DMV offices are easier to work with than others but do not have one to recommend.  Some say more rural offices are better.  I would be interested in hearing how it works out for you.     

On 6/28/2017 at 11:23 PM, fourex said:

The vent tube is open ended and finishes up near the air box trumpets.

IMG_20170629_161543.jpg

Great.  That's what I thought after taking the side cover off the engine.

I see that you have a hydraulic clutch conversion.  What hardware do you use?  Anyone done the same conversion on the front brake?

21 hours ago, alberto said:

ok thank you, but which Magura code ?

It was a custom build offered on ebay by our Australian distributor, refer attached pic of invoice. I did my homework prior to ordering and knew what should work, however I don't think the original actuating arm would have allowed the fitment of the slave cylinder due to not enough manoeuvrability, the kit from http://trialparts-shop.de/en/shop/klassiktrial/ausrueckwelle-kupplung-fantic/ solved any issues. The only other slight problems I encountered was having to disconnect the cable at the slave to allow me to route the cable through the frame openings up near the head stock, no big deal but just needed to place a 2nd order for some magura blood and a bleed kit. Also you will need some adhesive reflective foil to wrap around the cable where it nearly touches the muffler under the tank, easily found in automotive shops. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, but I still have that slight amount of drag. No drag at all when you pull the lever all the way to the bars but that is not how we ride unfortunately because our other fingers prevent this.

IMG.pdf