Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
yogibear

315r clutch

Recommended Posts

I have a 315r and the clutch sticks if not used for a few days but frees itself after a little ride. Do i need to replace the clutch or is it just a strip down and adjust. How easy is it to put a new clutch in?

any ideas  would bet great 

thanks

fraser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

its easy but may not be necessary. check the plates first, clean them, change your oil, etc. etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Clutch fix pinned to Beta forum. May work for you as it is really a generic issue for any bike with poorly finished plates. 

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I would open it up and look at the friction plates and the clutch basket, if the clutch basket is in great shape and the clutch plates have plenty of life left in them then the beta clutch fix or new plates would sort the issue fine.

If when you check it out you see ware on the clutch basket your best fix would be to replace with new, however some people have carefully filed down the baskets and been able to get good results so that might be an option.  

Good luck.  

Edited by jonnyc21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
17 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I would open it up and look at the friction plates and the clutch basket, if the clutch basket is in great shape and the clutch plates have plenty of life left in them then the beta clutch fix or new plates would sort the issue fine.

If when you check it out you see ware on the clutch basket your best fix would be to replace with new, however some people have carefully filed down the baskets and been able to get good results so that might be an option.  

Good luck.  

Thanks for all the replies,

have taken apart and basket looks ok along with the clutch plates. have ordered some dimpled metal plates (only £20) to see if it makes a difference. Looking at some info some people say plates should be fitted square side out some say round side out, do you think it makes any difference ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 minutes ago, yogibear said:

... Looking at some info some people say plates should be fitted square side out some say round side out, do you think it makes any difference ?

The important thing is to deburr the square side of the dogs if there are sharp edges or burrs. If that's done, I'd think they could go in either way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 minutes ago, sportsawyer said:

The important thing is to deburr the square side of the dogs 

Thanks Sportsawyer, i assume those are the teeth round the edge not the ones on both sides of the face plates ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, yogibear said:

... i assume those are the teeth round the edge not the ones on both sides of the face plates ?

Yes, the tabs / teeth along the outer circumference of each steel plate. The idea is to make sure they slide smoothly in the clutch basket slots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Part of the clutch fix accounts for the glue bonding the friction material to the disks witch will cause unexpected sticking to the mettle plates as it will heat up and stick when the friction plates don't.  

This is only an issue if you see the disk are warn to the point the glue can touch the mettle plates or if the glue was put on in excess amounts causing it to be in contact with the plats as well.  

I haven't seen this on a Honda clutch myself but it is possible.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
12 hours ago, sportsawyer said:

Yes, the tabs / teeth along the outer circumference of each steel plate. The idea is to make sure they slide smoothly in the clutch basket slots.

Sorry, I meant the teeth on the inner circumference of each steel plate. Sounds like you had it figured out anyway. My mind must have been elsewhere this morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks all, just cleaning and inspecting the plates have noticed the plate in first is different from the others, see photo, it's black in between the pads and on all the others it's a gold colour, do you think it's just because it's the first plate, all sizes look the same. Sorry for all the questions but have never taken a clutch apart before so learning something new every day ?

IMG_0592.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The only way you could tell for sure would be to measure the thickness of the disk with a set of calipers.  I didn't have any different color or type of disks in my 4RT, but have had different thicknesses of the steal disks on my wife's Gas Gas and the glue issue on my daughters Beta 80.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 minutes ago, jonnyc21 said:

The only way you could tell for sure would be to measure the thickness of the disk with a set of calipers.  I didn't have any different color or type of disks in my 4RT, but have had different thicknesses of the steal disks on my wife's Gas Gas and the glue issue on my daughters Beta 80.  

Out with the measuring stick, more tools to buy, i love my local tool store , thanks ;-) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...