Gearing Query - Beta Rev 3

libertyb

Quick shout out to those more knowledgeable than myself - so basically everyone :huh:

So, am relatively new to all of this and it's been suggested that i should change to a 9T front sprocket. I currently have an 11T. Any thoughts on whether I should go from an 11 straight to a 9 or should i try a 10T first :wacko:

Any thoughts would be gratefully listened to :)

Who's suggesting that?  11 is standard and many find first a bit low at that.  I know someone who had several over the years and never went lower then second.  I tend to ride too slowly and always found first okay.  9 would just be absurd and I don't really know what you would achieve using a 10 (assuming you have the standard rear sprocket; 42 for the 200, 41 for the bigger ones).

• Like 1

I know this will sound smug but it's not, it's genuine, you need to learn more control first, you've barely started and it takes fecking ages to get to grips with this sport, work on slow speed control and worry about gearing another time. 

• Like 1

More info for better answers. Why you want to change it. Where are you riding. Is first too fast for you, which I doubt as the Beta first is pretty low. On the rev 3`s I always ran a 10 and rode mainly in second gear with a lot of clutch work.  

• Like 1

i d think the 10 was plenty low enough for a beginner.. most sections you ll be able to ride in first and not even touch the clutch.. cclutch use is a skill you need so start now.. figure 8s in the drive are the order of the day.. when your the world champion in your drive.. find a smaller driveway..

• Like 1

Most of the folk Ive spoken with suggested that 10 would be right ... 

It's all about practice practice practice - this I know - I do use the clutch all the time and the clutch control I have isnt bad...throttle control needs some work :rolleyes: but hey every day's a school day.

I would never have thought to change but was riding with young lad a couple of weeks ago and he had the same bike as me but with a 9 on and his Dad had changed it from a 10 and suggested i do the same. Plus another couple of guys, who are veterans suggested that my gearing was set up wrong...Its my first foray into the world of trials - so its a steep learning curve but hey I like a hill climb ;) 

Thanks guys :D

Other than gearing up for the Scottish, this is the first I've heard of anyone wanting to change the Rev 3 gearing, having run one for 12 years and spoken with many owners over that time.

If you have standard gearing (see my earlier comments on rear sprocket size) then your gearing can not be "set up wrong"; it might not suit some particularly odd going (no idea where you are) or someone else's personal preference but it does not cost much to try a 9 so by all means give it a go.  With standard gearing on my 200 I could use fifth in some sections, which does not suggest overgearing.

Let us know how you get on but if gearing is too low you might not get enough go when you need it.

• 2 weeks later...