2018 TRS RR.

medeiros494

So, obviously I have a question after finding this PDF that I had read last week, but I just today posted.  and, I have always loved my gasser...  But, wow I am confused, that:  Nobody is or has been having issues with any of these parts, which is being updated for 2018...  Nobody has heard of ANY issues or reported about?  hmm.

Good I guess, but wow some those on the 1st page, looks like some major fixes, to me?  I am just skeptical, but planning to buy TRS soon, was wondering wow, wait until the raga 18's make it to our ports?

Good for TRS to find ways to improve on the bike and all that.  But it is being done, without litany of posts here in TC, of people asking about if anyone else broke a kicker, bad bearings, or anything that happened to GG???? 

I'm just asking.  I dunno how many even made it to the USA, and my 2 friends haven't had any trouble with the 17's that is even after asking one directly, but the 2 I know of (both owned by the one same friend) one had maybe 70 hours on it until he sold it to get the raga version, the raga only has about 10 hours on it as of today.  Rider cannot ride it right now.

There are tons of them around here. I'm not entirely clear what you're asking, but the only issues I've heard from owners are some gas tank swelling/leaking problems, which were all covered by TRS.

Another guy is having some minor shifting issues when cold, but I suspect that's likely down to the gear oil he's running. I've heard of one guy who had his handlebar clamp bolts loosen up which caused a near disaster, but I have a hard time believing it was related to any sort of design flaw.

Keep in mind TRS has the benefit of knowing about all the issues that affected other manufacturers throughout their time designing and manufacturing the bike (and I wouldn't doubt if a lot of the engineers had experience at various other trials bike outfits)... it's not like they did it in a vacuum where no trials bikes had ever existed. I'm not surprised it seems well sorted.

That said, I personally haven't really developed a liking for it. The frame shape is just weird, and while it rides nicely enough, I haven't fallen for it. YMMV.

I suspect it's the all too common marketing BS - they can't be seen to be selling the absolute same bike two years running so they tinker with stuff that has no real effect.

Because I had one I tend to read the changes to Beta and something that was "improved" one year is "improved" again and couched in terms implying the previous year was deficient.  Whether anyone can tell the difference is a moot point.

Even Montesa are at it now when, to me as an owner, one of their strong points was that changes were not made every year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I suspect it's the all too common marketing BS - they can't be seen to be selling the absolute same bike two years running so they tinker with stuff that has no real effect.

Because I had one I tend to read the changes to Beta and something that was "improved" one year is "improved" again and couched in terms implying the previous year was deficient.  Whether anyone can tell the difference is a moot point.

Even Montesa are at it now when, to me as an owner, one of their strong points was that changes were not made every year.

I am hoping you are right about the idea about it being marketing.   

Engineers don't just fix broken things. They make continuous small improvements over time. Or, alterations are forced due to supplier changes, then just presented as 'improvements'.  As marketing material it's a bit of a stretch, but all the manufacturers do it because they have no large changes to squeal about. But the changes are real, if a bit over exaggerated at times. 

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, heffergm said:

Engineers don't just fix broken things. They make continuous small improvements over time. Or, alterations are forced due to supplier changes, then just presented as 'improvements'.  As marketing material it's a bit of a stretch, but all the manufacturers do it because they have no large changes to squeal about. But the changes are real, if a bit over exaggerated at times. 

thanks for the input Heffergm, I still think I will wait for the 18

• 1 month later...