Slow throttle vs fast

medeiros494

Simple question. How much faster is the fast throttle? What are the advantages and disadvantages of slow and fast.  I'm riding a  montesa 260 4rt. Ordered a fast domino to try out so I'll find out on my own soon enough but would appreciate some feedback and opinions on this subject.✊️

Edited by medeiros494

Quick question about the standard throttle on a 2016 4RT - is it a Domino slow (black-bodied) one? I can't compare at the moment as I only have the one on the bike which came with it but I do seem to recall the Domino black one had a similar radius to the white one except for the beginning of the travel where it had a noticeably smaller radius followed by a cam type of increase after the first few millimetres. By contrast, the one currently fitted to my bike has a constant radius throughout all of its travel with the radius quite a bit less than a white one.

Edited by oldgit
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, oldgit said:

Quick question about the standard throttle on a 2016 4RT - is it a Domino slow (black-bodied) one? I can't compare at the moment as I only have the one on the bike which came with it but I do seem to recall the Domino black one had a similar radius to the white one except for the beginning of the travel where it had a noticeably smaller radius followed by a cam type of increase after the first few millimetres. By contrast, the one currently fitted to my bike has a constant radius throughout all of its travel with the radius quite a bit less than a white one.

Thats already been answered above............. 3rd post.

Edited by gasserguy

10 minutes ago, gasserguy said:

Thats already been answered above............. 3rd post.

I had read through the entire topic - but I'm still confused as my RT4 throttle is a constant radius and (from memory - which may be wrong) I seem to recall a standard black one having a variable radius. 

Would be good to know if a standard slow/black one has a constant radius.

I prefer fast.Makes for easier riding. The bit to worry about is the left hand. Most riders are on the clutch in sections, never fully engaged for long. Try fast and work backwards its cheap enough to experiment. Take a slow with you and swap around on sections to see what you prefer.

• Like 2

I measured black (slow) throttle tube to be 25 mm Outside Diameter, where throttle cable is rubbing against, which takes about 120 degrees to turn throttle to wide open. I also measured white (fast) Domino Throttle tube to be 31.4mm O.D. - creating a "quick turn" action; since it only takes 98 degrees to open carb slide. With about 26.1 to 26.5mm of carb slide movement, Black (slow) takes 4.6 degrees to move slide 1 mm and White (fast) takes only 3.7 degrees to move slide 1 mm.

Personally, I prefer a slow action throttle from idle to about 1/4 throttle (makes a huge difference in throttle control in tight slow sections). I also like the ability to get to wide open much faster with a fast throttle (not having to turn throttle 120 degrees). My solution was to cut down height of white plastic where cable attaches, by 3 mm - cutting groove with 2 hacksaw blades taped together and blending the cut to flush at about 90 degrees (where throttle cable rests at full throttle).

A "modified" Domino White "Fast" throttle tube to be "Slow to Fast" seems to be working very well for me on Beta Evo 300 without a Flywheel weight.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

as a complete novice, i tried my1997  gas gas 270 jtx, with the fast throttle the previous owner had fitted ! my opinion is that a slow throttle is better suited for a beginner ! i felt that fas throttle gave me very little control over the bike ! slow throttle now fitted and seems mor manageable to me !

• Like 2