Alpinestars Tech T Boots...

markgoolie

I've been wearing Gearne Balance Oiled Boot and have had a couple of crashed that have crushed my foot.  The crash that started my foot pain ended with my toes to the dirt and heel to the sky and the bike falling on my heel and crushing my foot into the ground.  I'm pretty sure I broke a bone or two in that incident.  The other two were simple crush injuries with my foot laying along the ground and bike falling on the side of my foot. 

Do the Tech T's or any other Trials boot provide any more forefoot protection the Balance?  I can't find anyone within a reasonable drive that stock them in Ohio.

Thanks,

Mark

I ve got the Tech alpinestars and I like them but I think the previous model gave better protection.

Its always a trade off between performance, as in flexibility for actually riding,  and protection.

if you can get hold of the previous model NOSTOP I think get them.

• Like 1

Its a personal thing but Forma remain the only brand of boot I have actually sprained an ankle in whilst taking a dab. In fairness I got my ankles from Thorntons Toffee......

The soles on the Alpinestars and Sidis are very rigid, this can help as you don't have to have the entire width of the boot on the footrest or kickstart. However sidis are quite flexible which I don't think meets Marks requirement ? I did find it easier to balance when I went back to the Alpinestar NOSTOP just due to the greater support in the ankle area.

• Like 1

I love my Alpinestars No stops. The sole has a steel shank in it that keeps the sole from flexing/wrapping around the footpegs when landing off steps.  (helps my arch not hurt)

I believe the Alpinestars Tech T boots also have the steel shank.  which may have  helped with your odd landing of toes in the dirt/heal in the air.

Honestly I don't know if other brands of boots have that steel shank in the soles or not.

edit: the No stops are very comfortable, even from new.  feels like I am wearing a pair of hiking boots.

Edited by zippy
Shameless plug for Alpinestars boots

I have two pairs of boots, both bought 3 years ago. 

1.  Garne Balance Oiled.  Soft and comfortable, but little foot protection from stumps or rocks.  Water resistant.

2. Wulfsport - brown ones.  Stiffer, heavier, thicker leather.  Lots more foot protection than my Garnes.  Not waterproof.  Very uncomfortable at first around my ankle.  I had a piece of foam rubber stuffed in there for a while - perhaps a year.  Now, with lots of dubbing and Duckswax they are as comfortable as my Garnes

I

• Like 1

I totally agree with your assessment of the gaernes, so comfortable, but a little light on protection especially when wet. I have a pair of sidi zeros at the moment and im very happy. Stiffer sole so more suppport from a bending point of view but reduced feel. Stiffer leather, slightly more protecion but they take a while to break in. Also have great heel protection. Its always a compromise

Edited by faussy

Thanks for all the info!  I do agree with zippy and do feel it in my arches after a long time standing on the pegs and on landing.  I'll just find a place with a good return policy and order a few pair in to see what I like.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the descriptions of the various boots on various websites (which is mostly marketing puff anyway) it seems as if the only boots that make a claim to being waterproof are Gaerne. Can that really be true? Seems odd considering that trials boots will be walked through water every time they're used.