Beta Techno250 1999 timing/manual

dune19670

Hi everyone 

i brought a 99 Techno 250 a couple of weeks ago as a starter bike to get into trials riding.

Ive only ridden the bike on 2 occasions but what ive noticed is that there seems to be a knocking sound when the bike is under load ( pulling up hills ) 

At first i thought it might be the chain/sprockets but now i wonder if the timing is slightly out and the knocking sound might be pre ignition???

The bike runs and starts fine with no noises, just the knocking under load.

i wondered if anyone had a manual with the relevant info or link to download a manual

Thanks in advance Steve

Thankyou very much for your reply. All very helpfull pieces of info there to try.

forgot to add, the previous owner  said he had fitted a new stator, so this also made me lean in the direction of the timing

Could someone let me know what or where i can find the timing info please

Thanks again Steve

the manual, parts diagram and wiring diagram are all available on the net, but as above it doesn't go into that detail. i've got the owners manual and parts diagram as PDFs on my hard drive if you are stuck (just PM me or email me).

im no mechanic, but my 1999 techno (and i think most others) suffer from stator problems

Thanks again for everyone's input

on further investigation, ive noticed theres a few  hooked teeth on the rear sprocket, ( they were always covered by the chain when i checked before ) so ive ordered a new chain & sprocket set, should be here tomorrow 

Hopefully this is the problem ??

if not I'll try the higher octane fuel

• 2 months later...

The stator on the '99 Techno is adjustable a fair bit, on the Beta UK site there is a picture of the correct position in relation to the crankcase

http://www.beta-uk.com/index.php/all-bikes/previous-models/pre-trial/1999-models

I have a '99 Techno too and I'm just in the process of changing the stator for a 2000 Rev 3 one, which is basically the same stator but the mounting plate is slightly different as I've just discovered.