Oset 16 wont run

sveson

In the picture is my daughters 16.0 36v Oset and as you can see I need help. I have upgrated it with a lithium ion battery and a Kelly controller. After installing the Kelly controller the bike ran fine for about two months but then it suddenly stopped working. 

After some measuring I suspected the controller so I contacted Kelly and got some help from them to search for the fault. I finally got the advice to disconnect the relay and connect power directly to the controller. And with -36v to B- on the controller and +36v to B+ and pin9 on the controller (for powering the controller) the bike works (the key switch doeant work). I also disconnected the wire from the relay to B+ on the controller. 

My problem is that I dont really understand what this suggests. I want to know what is wrong so I can fix it permanent. I hope someone here can help me. 

DSC_1538.JPG

The relay doesnt click. I have only 2-3 volts on the relay, regardless of the key switch being on or off. That is on all 4 pins. 

What I forgot to mension is that I replaced the relay after finding out that the bike works with direct power on the controller, but it didnt change anything. 

Just checking, do you say a new relay doesnt help, if it doesn't click it's duff they are prone to getting damp inside.. good clean out with wd 40 works

if you email oset direct they are very helpful with problems/advice

connect the negative meter probe lead directly to the neg of the battery then the pos to each of the thicker wires on the relay, key switch on you should have full battery voltage on only 1 of the fatter wires on the relay (red wire), if you dont have any voltage then it could be the key switch itself , report back if you still have no voltage..

So I took the negative wire coming from the battery and disconnected it from the B- on the controller. Then I measured holding the negative probe to that wire and the positive probe on the relay. Now I get 36 volts on all four pins of the relay. Key switch on or off doesnt make any difference. The key switch is working when I measure the resistance through it. 

Did I do it right gwhy?

On 2017-08-13 at 7:38 PM, timdog said:

Just checking, do you say a new relay doesnt help, if it doesn't click it's duff they are prone to getting damp inside.. good clean out with wd 40 works

if you email oset direct they are very helpful with problems/advice

Thats right, I changed the relay, but no difference. Arent the relays sealed to be waterproof? Doesnt mean they cant get damp inside anyway, but they are harder to open. Is there a way to test the relay?

Good tip to contact Oset, I might have to do that. 

3 hours ago, sveson said:

So I took the negative wire coming from the battery and disconnected it from the B- on the controller. Then I measured holding the negative probe to that wire and the positive probe on the relay. Now I get 36 volts on all four pins of the relay. Key switch on or off doesnt make any difference. The key switch is working when I measure the resistance through it. 

Did I do it right gwhy?

there was no need to disconnect the neg at the controller , should have just clipped the neg meter lead to the neg of the battery then carefully check on each pin of the relay. With key switch on yes you should have full battery voltage on 3 of the pins and 0v on the 4th relay pin ( black wire ? ). The relay ground goes directly to the controller ( on the oset diagram that i have )  so now if you still have fully battery volts on all 4 pins then now connect the meter neg  directly to the black (thin ) wire connection on the relay then measure the the other 3 pins they should have fully battery voltage on each pin with key switch on.... with the key switch off you should only have battery voltage on 2 of the relay pins ( 1 red thick wire and 1 red thin wire)  ... the fact that you had 36v on all 4 pins from your tests I would check connections and wires ( black thin wire ) from the relay back to the controller ( it may not be a black wire because you have upgraded the controller). 

edit: i just re-read my previous post and it should read with key switch OFF , I have just also thought that if you installed the resistor when you upgrade controller then if the back wire ( thin wire ) from the relay to controller is broken and that will give you 36v on all 4 pins of the relay with how you have measured it  

Edited by gwhy

Relays are very poor for use on trials bike in mud and water, they are open to elements, actual metal contacts exposed. After packing up twice i removed it and sealed it with tape inside old section of inner tube,but periodically check/wd40 inside. 

4 hours ago, timdog said:

Relays are very poor for use on trials bike in mud and water, they are open to elements, actual metal contacts exposed. After packing up twice i removed it and sealed it with tape inside old section of inner tube,but periodically check/wd40 inside. 

A mechanical relay on anything is always a 98% bad design , when there are much better and more reliable switch options this day and age :-)

• 1 year later...
On 8/10/2017 at 11:08 PM, sveson said:

In the picture is my daughters 16.0 36v Oset and as you can see I need help. I have upgrated it with a lithium ion battery and a Kelly controller. After installing the Kelly controller the bike ran fine for about two months but then it suddenly stopped working. 

After some measuring I suspected the controller so I contacted Kelly and got some help from them to search for the fault. I finally got the advice to disconnect the relay and connect power directly to the controller. And with -36v to B- on the controller and +36v to B+ and pin9 on the controller (for powering the controller) the bike works (the key switch doeant work). I also disconnected the wire from the relay to B+ on the controller. 

My problem is that I dont really understand what this suggests. I want to know what is wrong so I can fix it permanent. I hope someone here can help me. 

DSC_1538.JPG

Bit off-topic, but may I ask what brakes you have on your oset? Tektro hydraulic? ( i'm looking for an upgrade on my daughters oset 16)

Edited by AndréNL