Which Club Should I Join?

trapezeartist

Hopefully I should finally be getting a bike soon and then starting to compete. So I need a club membership. My reasoning at the moment (possibly flawed) is to join one AMCA club and one ACU club, in order to give a wider choice of events. I live near Bristol so both Cotswolds and Somerset are on my doorstep.

I'm already a member of Golden Valley (AMCA) so I'm assuming that entitles me to enter any AMCA events. Right?

Which ACU club would people recommend? Will I need to join one in the Wessex Centre and one in the South-West Centre?

I've been going to a number of events in the last few months and observing, but to be honest I've forgotten which clubs were running them.

Any ACU club, Makes no odds. It's just so you can get a number for your ACU licence application. You don't need a AMCA licence or be a club member to ride AMCA trials but it does at some events reduce the entry price by a couple of quid..

If your Bristol then Mendip Vale or Kingswood are good ACU clubs.

https://www.mendipvalemcc.co.uk/

http://www.kingswoodmcc.co.uk/

The West contry trial forum on F/BOOK covers all the events that are on ACU/AMCA and most trials topic in the area.

11 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

My original plan was Twinshock but I've been seduced by Modern.

¿por que no los dos?

I'm a member of something like 5 clubs, for different reasons it just ended up cheaper that way and I can go out any weekend

6 hours ago, turbofurball said:

¿por que no los dos?

I'm a member of something like 5 clubs, for different reasons it just ended up cheaper that way and I can go out any weekend

¿Los dos tipos de moto?  ¡Poco a poco!

I assume I will probably add more clubs as I go along, but I was just looking for guidance for starting off.

¿Porque español?

Español es tradicional para los memes del internet ;) (it's from an old Mexican TV advert)

Anyway, to answer your question, having a serviceable common modern bike is less faff and easier to handle (less weight, friendlier engine characteristics, parts availability) IF you have a suitable local club; there are some areas of the country that only have classic clubs nearby.

In my experience the closer the club is, the easier it is to find motivation to get up early and load the bike up!