Trials Bicycle for training

Everything I have researched shows that the trials bicycle skills are not a direct transfer for outdoor motorcycle trials but better for indoor trials. 

As stated by "oni nou" they are good for fitness and concentration, and I would add that they do help maintain balance.  Also if your willing to riding them frequently they are quicker to get out and play on for a short ride, and last if your in town (or if your neighborhood isn't accepting of motorcycles in the yard) they can be an easy way to ride often without causing issues.  

I have one and enjoy it, however it isn't a trials motorcycle and can't say everyone should get one.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

So I have a 20" mod, 24" Inspired Skye and a 26" Ozonys. 

IMO, if you are at clubman level or below and you are trying to learn pivot turns, front hops, bunny hops, etc then you will do much better learning these techniques on a mountain bike with similar bar and pedal heights. If you've never been on a trials bicycle you will alarmed at the geometry, which is all based around being on the back wheel. This means pedals are very high up and 'bars are down low. They are also usually very far infront of the steering tube via a long stem  which also makes the handling very awkward and further deviates from any similarity to a trials bike. 

I got trials bicycles because I like what people can do on them and I want to learn how to do stuff on the back wheel of my Cota, like hopping the bike sideways to keep balance at the top of a climb. 

If you can hop on the rear wheel or get close to it on a regular bicycle then give it a go. If you can't do any trick riding on a bicycle at all then this would be a big waste of money. 

thanks for all the replies. very interesting opinions!!  that's what the forum is for.

I ll give it a go and let you guys know how I made out in few weeks or so.  I have been developing skills very fast on the Bike. I can do a single hop on rear wheel, but I kinda lunge too far forward and cant save the front wheel for another one! The bicycle is appealing exactly for that reason. I wanna develop rear wheel balance and stationary control.  although I ride outdoors most of my obstacles are men made and I enjoy the indoor tricks and techniques. not for nothing, I ll enjoy good workouts and reminisce my days on the BMX!  Ride on everyone!!!! 

• Like 1

For reference, with a low seat post I've found practicing on my old/heavy full suspension mountain bike to be excellent practice for things like turning on inclines, tight turns on loose surfaces, and ballance practice when at or near stationary.  There's a place near my place between a railway line and some houses with banking to cut down on the noise, which is maintained by the council but nobody ever goes to - just the thing for a quick practice after work :)

• 1 month later...

Just to throw a spanner in the works..

i bought a cheap second hand trials cycle to practise balance and turns whilst at home and can't use the motorbike. Didn't really improve much but wanted to get better. So I bit the bullet and traded it in for a much more expensive bike and my progression has gone through the roof I can hop on the back wheel wherever hop up 3 pallets high pedal kick up stuff and everywhere 180 spins ect in such a short period of time.

Its definitely helped my balance and limited trick riding skills on the motorbike and it's great fun and I've gotten a lot fitter on the trials cycle which helps on the motorbike heap loads !

• Like 1