Beta 4T Oil change interval

klonheadd

Hi guys, I was wondering how often do you change synthetic oil on the beta 4t engines? I am using Ipone fully synthetic oil in my bike.

Manual states to change after 20hrs. Previous owner of my bike was advising changing oil after just 2 trials which seems to be v. often.

I have seen one ad for 4t and owner was stating he was changing oil after 3 rides and filter every 6 rides.

What is your experience with this subject? At first I thought maybe 15hrs is good interval but now I more inclined to change that to every 10hrs.  Thanks!

Edited by klonheadd

I find the oil gets dirty quickly. If i abuse the clutch the oil turns dark after only a few rides. I don't want that dirty oil running thru an engine i want to keep for a long while. Just recently tried Rotella T 15wt-40. Worked just fine. Cheap as dirt. Subaru owners prefer it for there turbo engines.

If it comes to oil changing color to darker, I reckon it's a normal function of oil mixing with carbon deposits. Not heavy clutch use. I heard many times that when oil turns black it doesn't mean it's used up.

I am using also fully synth 10w50 in my ktm 990 and it goes black from fresh very quickly but still i am using it for recommended interval (7500km for 3.8l of oil capacity in 990).

I personally would like to keep Beta 4t interval bit shorter than manual is stating but not as often as 2,3 rides since it's a synthethic oil.

This is an excerpt from valvoline website: http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils?CID=2269&cp=cp1.

Myth: You can tell the condition of an oil by its look, smell and color. If it turns dark or goes black quickly, it’s not good.

Fact: Nothing could be further from the truth. If an oil is doing its job cleaning the engine, then it will be dirty when it is drained. In the case of diesel engines, the oil may look dirty within a few hours of operation. This indicates that the motor oil is keeping soot, dirt and other combustion contaminants in suspension. These will then be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil and filter are changed. Good quality motor oils are formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until the oil is drained when the oil and filter are changed.

Edited by klonheadd