Beta Rev 3 water pump seal installation, is the seal in the wrong way?

betabell

I went to replace a coolant Hose on my 2007 125cc Beta Rev 3 as the hose had some damage to the outside. It was still functional and did not leak but I did not like the look of it. I have only had the bike a couple of months and it was like this when I got it. On removal of the water pump cover I found that there had been a problem with corrosion of the water pump metal. I know that this is a known problem with these bikes.  Someone has bodged the holes with some kind of purple gunk. Both the coolant and oil where still contained and had not cross contaminated as far as I can see. But this has happened in the past before my ownership from the look of it.  I have bought a new clutch/water pump case and all new seals. I think I will also buy a new water pump shaft and bearing. Looking at the old case it looks as though someone has put the water pump seal in the wrong way round? I think they may have done this to make the repair easier with the putty?

Please can someone look at my picture and tell me if the water pump seal is the correct way around or not?

Are there any special tricks or techniques to installation that I would need to know when installing new seals and the water pump bearing? I have changed a couple of oil seals on a small tractor and mower but have not worked with any seals and bearings as small as this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks James

DSCF1678.JPG

Ok, so that means the spring in the oil seal is exposed to the coolant in the radiator? 

All the other seals are the other way round with the spring being on the oil side but I know this one is a bit different as it has coolant one side and oil the other.

Yep that's normal - the seal is keeping the water out rather than the oil in (if that makes sense) Being exposed to potentially corrosive coolant may be one of the reasons why the seals are hard to find by themselves and expensive if you do.