Where are all the entries????

laird387a

Dadof this is a long running thread. The initial trials that the topic referred to were not all on the road. 

It is difficult for younger riders in road trials but regardless of the type of trial young entrants are in short supply 

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 2

It all started in 1982 when learners were restricted from riding 250s ... the current licensing rules, courtesy of the EU, are evidence-based.  They looked at the statistics, and made changes so that young people would have less chance to kill themselves and other road users.  Is trials more important than that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

It all started in 1982 when learners were restricted from riding 250s ... the current licensing rules, courtesy of the EU, are evidence-based.  They looked at the statistics, and made changes so that young people would have less chance to kill themselves and other road users.  Is trials more important than that?

Bikes dont appear, but suicide does !!

https://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-are-the-top-causes-of-death-by-age-and-gender/

My parents shop sold road and off road bikes but they were pretty clear they didnt want me on a road bike. 

Prior to  the 125 rule coming in someone with no experience could buy an RD250 which would do 107mph. If the law had been based on bhp or max speed it would have helped trials bikes. 

31 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Prior to  the 125 rule coming in someone with no experience could buy an RD250 which would do 107mph. 

Yet someone over 25 can now do direct access, with no experience, and once through their test can now jump on a 200bhp bike, no questions asked. 

There's a vast difference between 17 and 25 year old's maturity, and the tests to pass a direct access course are far far far more stringent than to pass a CBT (or, not even that if you go back before the CBT) to ride with L plates.  You're comparing apples with continental drift.

My Dad's shop sold majoritively road bikes, and my parents were fine with me riding on the road, but I can understand why parents today wouldn't necessarily feel the same way ... especially if we're talking about male riders.

To try and bring the conversation back, at the moment I think it makes sense for modern trials to avoid road work - that is genuinely something that would put an awful lot of people off. 

Wouldn't think it would be as much of a problem for classic trials, though.

From somebody that started in schoolboy trials where we rode 4 laps of 10 sections, I couldn t wait to ride in road trials and took my test on my 240 Fantic the day after my 17 th Birthday. This subject has been done and done again over the last thirty years or more. If you are committed to your sport ie. trials you go to the expense of passing your test and buying a bike registered for the road as most did way back when. I seem to remember a certain sales extra road tax that came in the name I can t remember, and this dented new registrations for a while, but where there was a will there was a way and you didn t often bump into the rozzer's on a sunday morning down some distant lane. Land used in road trials is still there I am sure just a knock on the door to the landowner might be all it needs to get it used again, whether the appetite for this type of event is there is another matter. I hear people say they want to ride and be done and home early to take the missus to tesco's or to watch the footie on the telly. Either way in my humble opinion a road based one lap trial the norm in the late seventies early eighties can never be bettered, and if you have never ridden in a proper trial you have really missed out. It seems the proof this year the classic events in the uk are booming, I guess they are ridden by the real trials riders and not the fairweather ones.

• Like 2

I can't even take my test on my bike - it's road registered, but I'd have to buy or hire something else, as it doesn't fit the criteria set out by the government.

You might have taken your test on a 240 Fantic, but you cannot do that now. 120-125cc is a "light motorcycle", then the next category is "standard motorcycle" which means a capacity jump to 395cc - neatly cutting out the huge majority of trials bikes old and new which cannot be used to take your test on.

My local practice ground is ten minutes away, so the ability to ride there would be great - but I think the cost of obtaining a motorbike licence today just isn't justifiable for lots of people, particularly those who would seldom actually ride on the road.

Edited by lopez

Without mirrors, indicators, lights, a speedo, and maybe a seat, taking the test would be tricky ... renting a bike isn't much money in comparison to the test cost, but you could always just borrow one.  I can't imagine not having a bike license, it would be like living with only one arm, but I can understand how offputting the test is - my other half went through it all a couple of years ago and it took her a couple of weekends and about £700

18 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Without mirrors, indicators, lights, a speedo, and maybe a seat, taking the test would be tricky ... renting a bike isn't much money in comparison to the test cost, but you could always just borrow one.  I can't imagine not having a bike license, it would be like living with only one arm, but I can understand how offputting the test is - my other half went through it all a couple of years ago and it took her a couple of weekends and about £700

Wow!  Way cheaper in the USA.  In my State about $400 if you go through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course or as little as $100 if you take the State road test.