Hopping

heffergm

Is it just me, or has anyone else that's ridden the Vertigo and the TRS find the TRS is infinitely easier to nose wheelie? I freely concede that my technique is horrible, and that, were it not, it would largely make no difference. But given what it is, I find the Vertigo carries so much weight down low, that it's very hard to initiate a nose wheelie without a kicker to help get the rear end started on its way up. Once it's up there it's easy to control because of the centralized mass, but unfortunately sections are seldom set up with my inadequacies in mind. 

The TRS by contrast is the lightest feeling bike I've ridden, and the rear end will come up incredibly easily without my needing anything to help it on its way other than the clutch and a bounce.

Any of the modern bikes have  abilities that most will never find wanting.If we're honest with ourselves it's us that's the limit,not the bike.If you're of the ability where you have trouble moving the back about,you're probably riding sections where trick riding isn't necessary.Sorry if this sounds insulting 

That makes sense @Heffergm . I've got a TRS , couple of my friends have Vertigos. When we swap bikes I notice the front is very light on the vertigo and doesn't go straight as easily, so on a pile of rocks or stream the vertigo wanders more. 

It's probably a combination of petrol tank location,  weight bias in terms of engine mounting and suspension settings. I agree that the weight bias on the TRS is more to the front.

It isn't the TRS to the Vertigo, however I have experienced the same thing between my Montesa and my wife's Gas Gas.  The location of the center mass feels different so a wheelie or lifting the rear feel easier on one or the other.  

Where I can't say it will fix the issue for you one thing that can help is suspension adjustment.  Example: I raised the front on my Montesa (by lowering the fork tubes in the trippls) and it got easier to bring the front up and mad the bike turn with less tucking but the back was harder to get up.

Next I went up a small bit on the rear preload and the rear cums up better and the bike will tuck if I am quick on full lock turns in the soft yet I didn't seem to loose the easy wheelies.  I would consider adjusting suspension (remembering to track where you started so you can get back/rest) and see if you can find a more middle ground.

best of luck!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Replaced both springs so the bike is more fitted to my weight (220 lbs), that has helped with turning in the rough some and allows me to store more energy for big ups.  I can also get more weight forward to drive the front end in full lock, makes it track better.

Front hopping is smooth with the vert due to the low center of gravity, rear hops I find dropping my weight down in my knees more than I would've thought helps the back come up a huge amount.  Remember not only is the C of G low in the vert but also back quite a bit as opposed to a regular non efi bike.  My friend's TRS seemed to hop better but the bike didn't feel as planted as my vert.  GG don't turn anywhere near as tight, not even close.  Check your linkage bearings too, mine were pretty dry on grease, cleaning and re-greasing helped the back move easier.  The low C of G also means you get less pull on the bars when holding pressure or using the bike to pull you over the top of big stuff, less scary but you have to work a little harder.