Gearselection getting difficult.

brownie001

Hi, afer I rebuilt my TL320s motor, gearchanging was a dream.

It stated getting problematic going down the box especially from 2nd to 1st. Now it is also a pain going up the box from 1st to 2nd. The clutch isn't dragging so something with the pawl setup seems to have changed.

Any ideas ?

Phil

Well, with the modded ramps (Big balls), Barnett carbon friction and the matching steels, mine doesn't.

So there you go b40rt, now you have ;o]

Even my 125, which only has surflex sintered plates, the clutch on it doesn't drag either.

Still, that's not the reason for the section difficulties which is only getting worse with time.

Looks like I'll have to split the engine again anyway cause if something is worn or needs adjusting..........

Its likely to be one of two things.

1. The lock nut on the selection pawl has worked loose. This adjusts how much throw there is on the selector mechanism and therefore how far it rotates the barrel when selecting gears. If its not pushing the barrel around enough, it won't engage the gears.

2. The selector mechanism is bent. Sounds unlikely I know, but check out the photo below. This is from a 175 Can am enduro engine I rebuilt back in June, it had come to me unable to get out of 1st gear, The mech on the left is a good one...the one from the 175 motor on the right. Owner reports that it works 100% perfectly now this has been changed.

20170623_095549.jpg

• 2 years later...

Martin - thanks for the info and Photo - think our problem is the 1st option. 

Need to lift the gear lever up a fraction from the neutral position before it will change down gears. The gear lever got a tweak and I think it moved the selector pawl position.

Ian