Ideal first trials bike

wispyone

I'm looking at getting my first trials bike, and having a good look around the forum, there appears to be a lot of conflicting info in relation to a first bike.

I'm looking at a decent 2008 Beta rev3 270. And seriously thinking of getting it.

A bit of background. I'm 47 years old 6 foot tall and 15 stone, had my bike licence 20 years and had a few bikes early on then kids came along so bikes went :(

Last few years bikes are back and now have a BMW F800gs, I also use bikes during work CRF250's.

Do you think the 270 will be a bit of a hand full to learn with?

Cheers 

Richard

Hi Richard, I am in a similar position to you (52, 6 foot, kids all grown up!) I read and re-read all the forum advice when looking for a bike in my price range and in the end (perhaps going against the general flow of opinion) went for a 2007  rev 3 270 because it was nearby so I could check it over, very well kept with good records of bills etc, and in my price range and the guy who owned it had also started out on it a couple of years before.

I have re-fitted the flywheel weight and changed the front sprocket to a 10. It also has a slow throttle.  I am still very much a beginner and slowly gaining confidence but I have found the bike to be calm and reassuring - obviously it could launch me off if I was reckless (you know what a powerful engine feels like, it seems) but so far all the falling off has been due to my lack of balance or mis judging the line or not having the confidence to trust the bike. I haven't had my "arms pulled out of their sockets" yet! My only concern is that perhaps I am learning bad habits as it seems to pull up hills in any gear and perhaps I should be learning to be more selective and develop more clutch skills.

I am sure you will get lots of responses to your question, but sometimes you have to go with your feelings and maybe if you wait for the perfect bike you will wait forever when you could be out there on it (or off it!).

Good luck, Mark

3 hours ago, markparrish said:

Hi Richard, I am in a similar position to you (52, 6 foot, kids all grown up!) I read and re-read all the forum advice when looking for a bike in my price range and in the end (perhaps going against the general flow of opinion) went for a 2007  rev 3 270 because it was nearby so I could check it over, very well kept with good records of bills etc, and in my price range and the guy who owned it had also started out on it a couple of years before.

I have re-fitted the flywheel weight and changed the front sprocket to a 10. It also has a slow throttle.  I am still very much a beginner and slowly gaining confidence but I have found the bike to be calm and reassuring - obviously it could launch me off if I was reckless (you know what a powerful engine feels like, it seems) but so far all the falling off has been due to my lack of balance or mis judging the line or not having the confidence to trust the bike. I haven't had my "arms pulled out of their sockets" yet! My only concern is that perhaps I am learning bad habits as it seems to pull up hills in any gear and perhaps I should be learning to be more selective and develop more clutch skills.

I am sure you will get lots of responses to your question, but sometimes you have to go with your feelings and maybe if you wait for the perfect bike you will wait forever when you could be out there on it (or off it!).

Good luck, Mark

Afternoon Mark.

Thank you for the reply, I have my car booked in for a tow ball fitting next week so if all goes well I will get the bike soon after that, hope to have it before the weather turns so I can play for a while and learning how not to fall off :)

Daft as it sounds even looking  forward to balance practice over winter months in the garage. Beats watching crap TV

Richard

1 hour ago, fasdr said:

Rev 3 270 will be very lively for a beginner. It wont pull your arms out! but while it will seem ok practising it will often be too much in typical club sections - you should be riding the bike  - not the bike riding you. Rev 3 200 is the best, in my opinion, but any recent 125 will be a great bike. New riders always want bigger bikes, as I did, but I have eventually learn that smaller is better for developing skill level.

Cheers fasdr, that's my only concern. Although at this stage I have no plans in entering trials it's more just learning the basics skills and enjoying being out and and having fun. So may be a smaller bike will be better ?????????

Decisions decisions☺

Go for the 270, yes a 200 is easier but you could wait a while before one comes along. 

Usually the extra power of a larger cc bike only makes itself felt later in the day when you are tired. A slow throttle and flywheel weight goes a long way to making it easier to ride. You could also fit extra cylinder base gaskets. A washer or restrictor sleeve in the exhaust will also calm it down, as can closing up the reed stops.

• Like 1

I always say go try some out if you can at a club event.  If not then start at the smaller side and work your way up.

However, at 15 stone and having past bike experience the 270 should be fine in the long run, just remember that it could get away from you quickly when things go wrong.  

To minimize things, as stated above, a slow throttle tube (black) and/or a flywheel weight will tame it down.  You can also change sprockets depending.

In the end it's about you learning and having fun so get what you think will let you do that.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

As long as  you learn to keep your index finger on the clutch lever, and pull in the clutch whenever you think that you are getting into trouble, then no trials bike will ever over power you, or launch you off into something that you don't want to be in.

• Like 2