Bultaco m27 San Antonio

garys120

Hi to all,

I was wondering whether anyone can advise me please?

I'm about to begin restoring my Bultaco M27 and didn't notice that the top clamp on the trees is wrong! I know the rarity of the 27 and the availability of parts is slim. 

Does anyone know whether the M10 top clamp is the same as the M27 please? 

If it definitely is then my percentage level of finding one may increase by a small fraction!

any help will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Gary.

On 13/09/2017 at 1:50 AM, sherpa325 said:

I am pretty sure the ubolt type was used up until the M91/M92 series 1972

No the U bolt was phased out during the rather long production of the M49.

But as a model 10 owner and ex early model 49 owner can confirm the clamp part is common and these come up on ebay from time to time manly in the states. I once bought a bag of 10 that I kept one pair that I wanted and sold the rest.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

Hi Stuart, thanks for your info it's really is appreciated. I'm sure one will turn up at some point. I'm just really happy that you guys have broadened my search with the info that they were also fitted to the early 49s..

all the best

Gary

Hi Stuart, thanks for your info it's really is appreciated. I'm sure one will turn up at some point. I'm just really happy that you guys have broadened my search with the info that they were also fitted to the early 49s..

all the best

Gary

You know what! I wish I'd got in touch with you all prior to this! I,ve stuck my head in and read a lot of your forum chats for a long time now!

just want to say thank you really. I absolutely love trials! The first bike I had as a youngster was an m10 and my mate knew I'd always wanted another. This m27 he's brought in from Canada for me, so I owe it to him to do it a justice! He knows I'm a purist at heart but sometimes I like to put a twist on the early bikes! He knows who he is, but honestly, a huge thank you to all of you who's helping me and advising me, sincerely. 

All the best all

Gary.

• Like 1

My first bike was a second hand series 1 M49 which I thought was fantastic, but things changed pretty quickly back then and the series 2 M49 was a big improvement so I bought a used one of them, no sooner had I bought it and the slimline M80 came out. I didn't buy an M80 but did purchase a new M92 series 1 325 when they came out, what an improvement. Lots of riders used to retro fit the new parts when they became available rather than buy a new bike. It was common to fit the folding footpegs, new handlebars without the welded on levers, a couple of mates even fitted the square cases to the earlier models. Both of my 49's had the ubolt clamps which were a pain in the rear end and I wouldn't be surprised if riders fitted the later triple clamp when they became available. It was a bit of a statement if you had Renthal bars, a set of Dunolp 2 ply tyres and any Sammy Miller parts on your bike. Interestingly the book Historia de la Sherpa T shows the M80 with the ubolt clamps so I would guess mrb505 is spot on. Anyway I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find an original triple clamp.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

On 13/09/2017 at 1:50 AM, sherpa325 said:

The fiirst M10 that I owned was fitted with a rather sturdy top yoke with clamps similar to the later type. The stalks supporting the handlebars were best described as flared into the top of the yoke part. After a bit of research I found that this part was an after market replacment made by Sandiford in the UK.  I believe others also made replacements. These were made and sold due to the original parts being a bit fragile and prone to breaking. Given a choice I would prefer one of these after market parts as they were stronger and also still a period part/mod.

In my many years of Bultaco ownership I have broken a top yoke only once and this was a model 80 later clamp type. Came to a rather abrupt stop at the bottom of a ditch and the yoke snapped with my full weight hitting the handlebars.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
spelling
  • Like 1

Feet up fun,

Not quite sure the clamps in your top picture are quite right. I have had a rummage in my shed and dug out this model 10 top yoke with the clamps and u bolts. Picture attached. I have also attached a picture of the top yoke fitted to my first M10 that has since been sold to Spain. This is an after market part but was a period upgrade.

Stuart

P9161934.jpg

DSC04368.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,

I emailed a lot of breakers in the states and one has come back to me saying he's got one off an early m49. Ive asked if he can send me a photo, I haven't heard back from him yet but my fingers are crossed it's the same as your one!

I've managed to get few bits organised in Spain.

Handlebars with built in perches and levers and a few other bits are also scarce but I've run a few ads so fingers crossed.

I'm really close now to starting the restoration and if the guy in the states comes good I'll be on it in the next 2-3 weeks, cant wait!

I'll put some photos on once I get the bike out of storage.

all the best and thank you everybody for helping.

Gary. 

• Like 1