4RT short of power - injector issue ?

misterfrostie

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum, I've got a 2008 Repsol 4RT which has done very little from new. I bought it last year from a nice genuine guy in the North East and had a good ride before I agreed to buy it.

Whipped off the front and back wheels, dropped the bars and put it in the back of the car for the uneventful journey home. When I got it home I had a couple of instances where during a drop it would die on me. So I did some research and removed and linked out the bank angle sensor. I tested it before removing it and the bike would shut off when leant over one side but not the other so it looks like it was faulty.

Anyway, it never did run perfect despite the sensor linking. It fires up OK and ticks over but there are occasional periods where there is a miss, sometimes a spell where it will die for a fraction of a second and sometimes it will die altogether. When I'm riding it there has been occasions where it's died as I've opened it up for a step-up and there are occasions where in 3rd or 4th powering up a hill there is a distinct lack of power.

I've been tinkering with it more the last few days and I've now had the injector out and cleaned it. The reason for this is that I connected up the diagnostics tool and it gave me 12 blinks suggesting injector connect, wiring or the injector itself. I've checked the wiring for rubs and damage and it looks OK. I've also cleaned the connector block but no change.

I've run the fuel pump off the bike with 12v across it and it seems OK. Plenty of fuel pressure if I back off the banjo that connects up to the injector module so I don't think it's the pump.

I'm reluctant to buy a new injector module to "try" as they're £285 new (!)

Can anybody else make any suggestions as what to try before I either shell out for an injector or book it into the workshop for a repair ?

Or does anyone have a spare injector that they'd consider selling or loaning out to me in return for some beer tokens ?

Many thanks, really appreciate any help you can offer.

I don't have the diagnostics tool but am considering getting one.  If you have changed the plug the only other consideration might be to go to the hotter plug as I have heard a few people say they work better than the standard one.  On the cleaning comment, I don't know if it really helped but I cleaned the whole tank and tea bag filter even though they didn't look to bad.  

As for over fueling I have seen a few posts where people have used a different throttle body as a way to check the ECU isn't the problem and has been.  Or as you have the tool you might be able to reset your ECU as a few have indicated doing so can also fix fuel issues.  

For reference the 4RT I was able to fix with this was my 07.  

Is there any one you know with a 4RT that would be willing to let you do some parts swapping diagnostic efforts?

i would swap ECU's with a different bike before doing injector work.  And if still having issues swap back to the old ECU and different injector.  

I say this because the last thread with an over fuel problem ended up being the ECU not the injector. With a second bike and a a few swaps it was the ECU.  (Didn't find it with a quick search but remember it well)

multi earth plug is under the tank pushed up under the head stock...its a yellow plug with about 8 or 9 earth wires. you can unclip the back of the plug and remove the multi blade connection strip and give it a bit of a clean. I think the post above referred to my bike with an ECU issue. Before it really started to play up it too 'missed' every now and again, then it got to a point where it would only run with a separate 12v power source on the pump. This was due to a faulty capacitor and 'black wire' corrosion from the capacitor into the loom giving high resistance. Once this was fixed the over fuelling and general poor running was due to a faulty ECU. At first it read as a temp sensor fault so the thermo switch in the radiator was changed but it turned out to be the ECU not reading the temp correctly....try swopping the ECU with another bike for a days riding and see how you go...

How does your spark plug look when the bike acts up?  I have been noticing my plug getting sooty, black more and more. 

Cleaning the plug or changing the plug fixes the running problem.  First I noticed that when the air filter got dirty, the plug would foul as described. New filter, very lightly oiled helped.  Recently it has been getting harder to start and the plug is fouling when letting the bike warm up at idle.  I have heard that this could indicate the valves need adjustment.  I have not had time to do so. 

Once the bike gets warm and with a clean plug, it runs great. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thats_a_five said:

How does your spark plug look when the bike acts up?  I have been noticing my plug getting sooty, black more and more. 

Cleaning the plug or changing the plug fixes the running problem.  First I noticed that when the air filter got dirty, the plug would foul as described. New filter, very lightly oiled helped.  Recently it has been getting harder to start and the plug is fouling when letting the bike warm up at idle.  I have heard that this could indicate the valves need adjustment.  I have not had time to do so. 

Once the bike gets warm and with a clean plug, it runs great. 

Mines no better with a new plug Johnny