Birkett SY250R mods question

pmk

5 hours ago, the yukon sizzler said:

I have an '09 ex Birkett team bike. I concur with the mods previously mentioned, I would add, to my knowledge, the cranks were trued and welded to stop flywheel scissoring (not that it was a problem on yams anyway?) , mine has an Ohlins shock,(not sure that was a birkett mod) I know some owners who have strengthened the top shock mounting point as the bolt hole can elongate with time/wear.  HTH.

Thank you for the reply.

Is there any chance you might have photos or can better explain the mods done?

Most seem pretty straight forward, the frame tab to allow easier subframe removal is most intriguing.

The repositioning of the thermostat seems obvious, but a photo would be a benefit.

Still no reply from Birketts.  I should message them again.

Edited by pmk

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the 2005 SY250R.  Does not appear to have been ridden in competition and otherwise is in very good condition.

Sent a second message to Birketts via their website page.  Asked if they have stock on spares and if they had the mods posted somewhere on their website or archives.  Hope to hear back from them.

Plan to give the machine a good look over and replace all fluids and grease the steering and swingarm pivots.  Also, since the mid exhaust tends to get punctured by the engine case, I will ensure that is addressed.

Should be fun entry level and learning machine to compliment the 73 MAR.

This trials riding is addictive, even when learning and being kind of a hack about it.

• 5 weeks later...

SY tuning wasn’t all about making them more wick, lots of people swapped the flywheels from older bikes and Tyz’s (3.1kg) to give better grip, the Tyz had steel reeds and stoppers, the stoppers where used to smooth the power at the top end, there was a little porting done too. 

I had one of those water pump houses, while they sound a good idea the I was always worried if it took a hit the case would get trashed.  

5 hours ago, godzilla said:

SY tuning wasn’t all about making them more wick, lots of people swapped the flywheels from older bikes and Tyz’s (3.1kg) to give better grip, the Tyz had steel reeds and stoppers, the stoppers where used to smooth the power at the top end, there was a little porting done too. 

I had one of those water pump houses, while they sound a good idea the I was always worried if it took a hit the case would get trashed.  

Interesting about the reeds and water pump housing.

On my SY250, reeds in it now are fibreglass with no true stoppers.

The water pump housing is stock, but I did get the 2005 Scorpa options catalog with the bike.  They show a slightly different housing where the fwd hose spigot extends more towards the radiator.

A0_E773_E3-7252-41_D2-_B091-5_CFE7_EBD05

The covers where pretty rare, mine was the only one I ever saw, I gave it to a mate who’s a bit of a collector, they where cast and the hose angled, the hose needed to be shortened a bit, I’ll see if I have a pic later. 

Edited by godzilla
  • Like 1